Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Baytown, Texas
The Chaplain is responsible for providing spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, emotional and psychological needs of Houston Methodist patients and their family members. Provides spiritual care support for Houston Methodist employees, visitors and physicians. Assists leadership in carrying out the Houston Methodist mission, vision and values, participating in and leading activities in these efforts.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
* Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
* INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
* COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
* ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
* RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
* EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
* Focuses on patient/customer safety
* Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
* Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
* Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
* Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 30 %
* Promotes a supportive and positive environment for Houston Methodist patients, family members, visitors, employees and physicians. Assists leadership with planning and carrying out Houston Methodist mission, vision and values. Provides spiritual care support to Houston Methodist employees.
* Fosters and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that helps to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating in a positive, supportive, non-judgmental manner.
* Serves as mentor to CPE students and lay ministers as assigned. Orients and precepts new chaplains as assigned.
SERVICE - 40 %
* Provides spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, emotional and psychological needs of patients and their family members of all faiths, during hospitalization and particularly for pre-operative, critically ill and dying patients. Enables others to utilize their own faith as a resource for health and healing.
* Makes pastoral visits with patients to conduct initial assessments, in response to referrals and codes, and for follow-up care. Follows patient care plans established by the coordinating chaplain, proactively identifying when a change in approach or intervention is necessary, taking appropriate action and involving others as needed. Enables patients to participate in their plan of care as applicable.
* Provides crisis intervention for patients, family members, visitors, employees and physicians.
* Serves as liaison with community clergy, local congregations and denominational groups. Utilizes community resources to assist in meeting the spiritual needs of others.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 15 %
* Consults with physicians, clinical management, hospital leadership and staff to assess quality and safety of services provided. Identifies opportunities for corrective action and improvement, providing recommendations; contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety, participates in implementation of quality improvement activities and department safety initiatives. Reports near misses and documents in the PSN.
* Participates in interdisciplinary health team rounds; proactively identifies need for intervention and takes action, involving others as necessary.
* Accurately and thoroughly documents patient visits and spiritual care provided in the patient s record.
FINANCE - 5 %
* Utilizes resources effectively and efficiently, demonstrating responsible financial stewardship. Manages own time effectively and prioritizes work to achieve maximum results in a timely manner.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10 %
* Participates in and may plan and lead various department and/or hospital-wide activities such as, but not limited to: worship services, I CARE values integration, accreditation readiness, bio-med ethics, etc. Assists with special projects and serves on various hospital committees as identified.
* Participates in and represents the hospital in Houston Methodist sponsored community activities.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
* Masters degree in theological studies from an institution accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or equivalency approved by the Association of Professional Chaplains (APC) or Cognate (ACPE, CASC, NACC, NAJC)
* Four units of clinical pastoral education (CPE) from institution(s) accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE), National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC) or the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC).
* Highly prefer experience as a professional chaplain
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Ordination or commissioned to function by a religious authority
* And one of the below:
* Board certified chaplain (BCC) by one of the following: Association of Professional Chaplains (APC) or Cognate: American Association of Pastoral Counselors (AAPC and only if prior to 2017), National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC), Neshama: Association of Jewish Chaplains (NAJC), Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC), Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE), Spiritual Care Association (SCA), or
* BCC by other nationally recognized chaplain certifying body having comparable qualification requirements as APC and Cognates and as approved by HM System Director Spiritual Care, or
* In process of BCC; BCC must be obtained within two years from hire (Note: current HM Chaplain(s) allowed to achieve BCC by July 31, 2019).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
* Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
* Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
* Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates various computer systems to enter and maintain patient documents
* Ability to work independently; capable of effectively handling challenging / difficult interactions, patient care situations; demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average communication skills
* Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team
* Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving