Process Development Engineer at 3D Systems
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Rock Hill, South Carolina
This position is in support of rapidly growing 3D printing materials manufacturing, this engineer will define and design new processes, and enhance efficiency and quality of current processes.
The Process Engineer is responsible for maintaining the efficiency and effectiveness of all production related manufacturing equipment & processes required to manufacture a high quality product in a repeatable and cost effective manner. As such the Process Engineer should have background and experience in batch manufacturing of liquid or powder materials.
The Process Engineer must be a leader, strategic thinker and problem solver. He/she must combine a detailed technical knowledge and operations management in a Lean manufacturing environment. He/she should be well organized, disciplined and self-motivated, with the capability to balance multiple priorities related to operations and organization. He/she must be able to communicate with internal company personnel, as well as contractors or customers, with equal effectiveness and professionalism.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Chemical process design for liquid and solid mixing and packaging processes, designing manufacturing layouts, coordinating equipment selections, interacting with contractors, and evaluating quotes
- Work closely with operations and materials development groups to seamlessly transfer processes into manufacturing.
- Develop specifications and qualify chemical processing equipment for manufacturing use.
- Develop appropriate quality metrics to monitor capability of manufacturing processes.
- Develop a maintenance program to maximize process up time, and responsibility for the maintenance, repair and optimization of the production equipment and the training of the personnel for its proper use.
- Provide support to ensure that plant operations meet environmental and safety protocols in a cost-effective manner, including responsibility of good working condition and safety of production equipment. This includes scheduled and on-demand maintenance, documentation, tuning and calibration, in coordination with the respective production personnel.
- Monitor current procedures and equipment for adequate performance, identify potential for improvement or capacity increase, and propose plans for the required modifications (including equipment investments, labor, organizational changes and expected benefit).
- Installation or modification of laboratory equipment.
- Design of new manufacturing equipment and plant layout, evaluation of quotes, coordination and supervising of contractors, testing and certification of equipment.
"This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described."
Education and Training
- Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical, chemical or electrical engineering discipline with appropriate experience.
- Desired 2 - 5 years of experience in batch process manufacturing of liquid or powder materials (chemical, material, food, or pharmaceutical processing environment preferred).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must have experience managing multiple simultaneous batch processes with respect to scheduling, personnel, materials, and product quality measures.
- Proven experience with process automation systems and quality management systems. Experience with supplier quality management would be a plus. Lean Manufacturing experience preferred