Assists the Specimen Bank Supervisor and Director with the day-to-day operations over part of first shift and into second shift in the BWH Specimen Bank (department responsible for all receipt, processing, and shipping of research specimens; 9-5PM, M-F). Responsible for interaction with a diverse group of personnel, answering pertinent questions and reporting results as requested and according to established policies. These personnel include staff from the various internal laboratories and health care providers from inside and outside the institution who use the BWH Clinical Laboratories and Research Cores in the BWH Pathology Department.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Acts as the primary contact person for inquiries to the BWH Specimen Bank
Responds appropriately to inquiries on various topics, such as: information on requirements for processing and shipping, adding on tests to specimens. Refers caller with specific inquiries to the appropriate laboratory supervisor as necessary.
2. Ensures the continuous smooth flow of specimens from receipt in the laboratory through processing.
Notifies the Supervisor or Technical Director of issues affecting workflow or when additional assistance is required.
3. Assists Supervisor as needed.
Demonstrates leadership and acts as a role model for staff.
Assists with inventory and administrative duties
4. Troubleshoots problems independently.
Makes certain resolution is reached and communicated back in a timely manner.
Notifies Supervisor of all unresolved problems and of significant problems (i.e., where corrective action or change in procedure is indicated).
5. Compiles and enters results into the computer for all accessions, processing, resulting and shipping.
Checks outstanding work list in a timely manner.
Notifies Supervisor of all issues involving incorrect result entry.
6. Maintains safety. Practices safe work habits and directs staff as needed. Informs Supervisor of issues involving safety.
7. Updates computer files for individual studies, users and registered patients as needed. Reviews all returned reports and makes correction as needed. Registers consent patients for studies in the Crimson LIMS. Assists Specimen Bank IT in testing of new workflows and features in the Crimson LIMS.
8. Prepares and processes specimens as needed, including all clinical trials and specimens to be sent out to reference laboratories.
9. Coordinates emergency procedures during computer down time following established procedures.
10. Is responsible to be aware of JCAHO National Patient Safety Goals and to compile with BWH Hospital and Laboratory polices and procedures.
11. Performs other duties as required.
Graduate of MLT program, Associates in Biology/related science, or equivalent experience preferred.
Previous Lab Control experience preferred
Must have overall background in laboratory procedures and detailed knowledge of specimen handling, preparation, preservation and disposal, as well as knowledge of clinical laboratory terminology.
Must have broad knowledge of operational procedures of all departments of the Clinical Laboratories.
Must have complex troubleshooting abilities.
Must be extremely organized and capable of working under pressure and be flexible to adjust schedule in accordance with the needs of the department.
Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Ability to handle questions and gives pertinent information on the telephone.
Must have the ability to interpret laboratory requisitions.
Knowledge of computers required.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.