Construction Inspector - Wichita at Transystems Corp
Posted in Architecture 12 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Inspects and oversees construction work to ensure that procedures and materials comply with plans and specifications by performing the following duties. Performs quality control inspection activities on roadways, bridges, railroads and site work. Bridge construction inspection experience a plus.
General Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Measures distances to verify accuracy of dimensions of structural installations and layouts.
- Verifies levels, alignment, and elevation of installations.
- Observes work in progress to ensure that procedures followed and materials used conform to specifications.
- Prepares samples of unapproved materials for laboratory testing.
- Examines workmanship of finished installations for conformity to standard and approves installation.
- Interprets blueprints and specifications for Contractor and discusses deviations from specified construction procedures to ensure compliance with regulations governing construction.
- Records quantities of materials received or used during specified periods.
- Maintains daily log of construction and inspection activities and compares progress reports.
- Capable of handling medium to large projects of moderate complexity.
- Has capability to monitor several types of work activity simultaneously.
- Maintain construction safety practices and work methods for compliance.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Qualifications – To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience – High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Generally requires 4 to 12 years of inspection experience with some technical training or equivalent experience.
Supervisory Responsibilities - May oversee the work of less experienced inspectors
Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software and Internet software.
Certificates and Licenses – KDOT CIT preferred, ACI Field and/or Strength, Troxler or similar state DOT certification are recommended, but not required.
Work Environment - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Travel to work locations may involve out-of-state travel with short or long term assignments.
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 80-90 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to work in a variety of climates (hot, cold) and inclement weather.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Communication - - Listens and gets clarification; Participates in meetings; Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information; Presents numerical data effectively; Responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently; Works within approved budget
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly. Able to use and wear personal protection equipment properly.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Travel requirements: Up to 20%
TranSystems Corporation - Transportation Infrastructure and Facilities - that's our focus. From infrastructure and facility design to computer simulation and economic impact analysis to finding alternative financing solutions for transportation projects - we do it. Our transportation specialists, located in offices across the nation, are unparalleled in the knowledge of the movement of freight and people, and unmatched in technical and managerial services. We provide full-scale professional services to both public and private sector transportation clients. Plans, designs and directs components of freight railroad; passenger rail and transit; states and municipalities; airports and air carriers; manufacturers and distributors; ports and maritime; trucking and automotive; energy and communication; and federal government projects.
TranSystems is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer and ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment opportunity in all programs and activities in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, pregnancy status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship status, disability, protected Veteran status or any other status protected by law. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, we will hire only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States (if the position is or will be one which is subject to U.S. law).