Chief Editor - Major new Nature Research open access journals in Biology, Physics and Chemistry at Springer Nature
Posted in Writing/Editing 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Position Title: Chief Editor – Major new Nature Research open access journals in Biology, Physics and Chemistry
Location: New York or London
Business Unit: Open Research
Springer Nature is looking for three Chief Editors to lead our new, high quality, open access journals within the areas of Biology, Physics and Chemistry. The journals will complement our existing Nature Research open access titles, Nature Communications and Scientific Reports.
This is a high profile role within a fast-growing and strategically vital area of the Springer Nature open access portfolio. It offers the successful candidates a fantastic opportunity to shape the direction of a new journal as Chief Editor and act as the ambassador for the journal through engagement with the global science community. The successful candidates will report to the Publisher and will play a crucial role helping to set and monitor the editorial scope and strategy for each new journal, maximising the visibility, scientific standing and quality of the journal and the impact of the research published within it. S/he will recruit and manage the internal and external editorial teams and therefore the ability to form and lead a collaborative and focussed team is crucial to the role and ensuring the fast development of the journals.
- Support the Publishing Director and Publisher to prepare a high-level strategic plan for the launch, growth and development of new journals
- Ensure all content published in the journal is of the appropriately high quality and covers the spectrum of research in the journal's scope
- Provide line management for the internal editors
- Act as the main voice to represent the new journals within the internal editorial and external research communities, ensuring they serve the needs of the individual community they serve (Biology, Physics and Chemistry)
- Meet regularly with authors and reviewers to understand their priorities and needs, and the ways in which they are engaging with Nature Research content
To be considered for the position, you should have:
- A thorough understanding of the scientific research community and its needs, including detailed knowledge of open access publishing
- A breadth of knowledge that covers the journal’s scope and in-depth knowledge of particular areas of the journal’s scope
- Strong demonstrable editorial experience in the selection and processing of manuscripts to the high levels required for a Nature Research publication.
- PhD level relevant research experience
- Excellent leadership and team-building qualities
In your application, please specifywhat subject area (Biology, Chemistry or Physics) you are applying for in your targeted covering letter.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.