Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by Professional Diversity Network, Inc
Type: Full Time
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
SummaryWe are conducting a thorough search for the right candidate for the position of Scientist I in the Physical Biochemistry group within BTMS as Biogen. The NMR Scientist I will be responsible for maintaining the NMR facility and supporting NMR initiatives and capabilities within Biogen early research and development stages.Job DescriptionWe are conducting a thorough search for the right candidate for the position of Scientist I in the Physical Biochemistry group within BTMS as Biogen. The NMR Scientist I will be responsible for maintaining the NMR facility and supporting NMR initiatives and capabilities within Biogen early research and development stages. These responsibilities will include the general maintenance of three high-field Bruker NMR spectrometers, structural elucidation of small molecule drug candidates, their related impurities and metabolites, involvement with the Discovery organization to conduct fragment-based screening campaigns and support Lead-ID projects. In this capacity, the NMR Scientist I, reporting to the NMR Sr Scientist, will work on a variety of business goals throughout the Biogen research and development organization and adhere to the Biogen Core Values: Customer focused, Agile, Pioneering, Inclusive, Ethical and Accountable.
- Maintain three Bruker NMR spectrometers: A 400 MHz Avance III with a BACS-60 sample changer, a 500 MHz Avance III HD with a 5mm BBFO cryoprobe and SampleJet and a 600 MHz Avance III with a 5mm QCI-F cryoprobe and SampleJet. Troubleshoot technical issues to ensure a continuous workflow and seamless automation with reduced downtime.
- Follow SOPs to maintain certifications and meet specifications of all instruments.
- Enable a variety of NMR capabilities by switching probes for different applications (liquid/solid/LC-NMR).
- Collaborate with several Biogen Discovery groups to understand the biophysics of therapeutics binding to their protein and nucleic acid targets (HIT to lead activities), structural elucidation of drug candidates, their impurities and metabolites.
- Coordinate activities of consultants, vendors and CROs.
- Write and review analytical procedures and SOPs as needed.Qualifications- Ability to independently troubleshoot issues with NMR instrumentation -i.e. Bruker consoles, cryoprobes, SampleJets.
- Familiarity with TopSpin, iconNMR, Bruker pulse sequences and macros.
- Expertise in small and large molecule NMR data collection and interpretation.
- Proficient with computer applications for NMR analysis (Topspin, ACD labs, MNova, nmrPipe, scripting languages, etc.)
- Ability to measure ligand binding to protein using standard NMR techniques.
- Work with others in the group using biophysical techniques to better understand protein targets (e.g. SPR)
- Excellent Oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize among several competing projects.EducationPhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Biophysics with a strong record of NMR experience.All individuals deserve the right to achieve their full potential. Accordingly, our company welcomes all job applicants, and we strive to provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement. We will not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment based on an individual's sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other basis protected by local government agencies or law.As an employer of choice, we strive to:Provide attractive employment opportunities for diverse candidates at all levels and in all segments of our organizationPursue and maintain relationships with sources of diverse candidates, community organizations, and academic institutionsComply with both the letter and the spirit of all applicable laws and regulations relating to nondiscrimination and affirmative action in employmentVEVRAA Federal ContractorWe Request Priority Protected Veteran and Disabled Referrals for all of our locations