RESEARCH DIETITIAN / 40 HOUR / DAY / BWH - CCI at Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Research dietitian for the Brigham and Womens Hospital Center Clinical Investigation (CCI) Nutrition Core responsible for protocol development and implementation, patient care, and metabolic kitchen operations supervision. Participates in the development of nutrition projects, research, and education programs consistent with the goals of Harvard Catalyst of the National Institutes of Health and the Brigham and Women's Hospital, Center for Clinical Investigation.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Collaborates with investigators in the planning and implementation of research projects including reviewing the literature, designing the dietary/nutritional component of research protocols, and implementing diets for research participants consistent with the protocol constraints, general nutrition principles, and subject needs
* Directs and monitors the production and service of all research diets
* Contributes to the writing of abstracts and papers for publication
* Compiles and records data to evaluate research studies
* Implements and directs nutrition interventions and procedures
* Develops and tests innovative recipes to meet dietary specifications
* Reviews, updates, and coordinates patient nutritional care and protocol implementation through ongoing communications and conference participation with nursing and other interdisciplinary staff
* Develops, implements and evaluates orientation and training programs
* Communicates and maintains hospital and departmental policy and performance standards
* Supervises and approves food procurement procedures for nutrient controlled diets
* Assists in developing, implementing, and evaluating all policies and procedures relating to the functioning of the metabolic kitchen and nutrition component of CCI protocols
* Monitors and oversees food safety procedures by kitchen personnel in accordance with hospital standards.
* Assists in the supervision of all CCI Nutrition diet technicians, food production and service, and equipment operation
* Participates in interviewing prospective employees and hiring of dietary staff for the CCI Nutrition Core
* Participates in educating students in nutrition research skills and applications
* Conducts and/or participates in in-service education programs for both CCI and the BWH staff
* Serves as a resource person and lecturer in subject areas related to clinical research or expertise
* Orients and contributes to the development of nursing staff, research study staff, and clinical staff relating the dietary aspects of clinical research
* Teaches new policies, procedures and the use of equipment to students, study staff, CCI staff, and others as needed
* Participates in the planning and establishing of annual goals and objectives for the unit
* Assists in the preparation of the annual CCI dietary budget for personnel, equipment and supplies
* Assists in the evaluation of staffing needs of the CCI and development of staffing patterns
Education/Experience: Bachelors degree in dietetics, nutrition or related area, granted by a U.S. regionally accredited college or university. Masters degree preferred. Completion of a didactic program in dietetics and supervised practice program approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
Certification/License: Registered Dietitian or RD eligible by the Commission on Dietetic Registration, MA state Licensed Dietitian upon RD registration
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
* In-depth knowledge of human physiology, biochemistry and metabolism
* Advanced knowledge of human physiology, biochemistry, and metabolism as it relates to clinical nutrition status, food chemistry, nutrient composition, and dietary analysis, food production and service systems in relation to quality, nutritious, and safe food.
* Organizational and interpersonal management skills necessary to effectively direct and support the dietary staff and to oversee the efficient and effective operation of the metabolic kitchen
* Analytical abilities and creativity to plan, calculate and implement research diets consistent with the research protocol, nutrition principles and cost containment
* Interpersonal skills necessary to provide counseling to patients and their families on nutrition related problems and to interact with staff members and other health professionals necessary to implement research protocols and complete clinical visits
* Knowledge of the research process, team participation, and accountability for all phases of dietary protocol implementation
* Ability to effectively utilize basic teaching techniques necessary to educate and train staff, dietetic interns, patients, and other health professionals
* Skill in interpersonal communications and counseling
* Ability to communicate clearly and effectively through professional communications, technical writing, and presentations
* Ability to motivate and mentor students and staff
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.