Field Maintenance Controls Technician at Patterson-UTI Drilling
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Midland, Texas
Field Maintenance Controls Technician
Midland, TX, US
Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC, through its substantial fleet of land-based drilling rigs, provides comprehensive drilling solutions to major and independent oil and gas companies.
The Field Maintenance Controls Technician 2 travels to drilling rig field locations to perform a variety of equipment service and maintenance related activities. Activities include servicing, repairing, troubleshooting, adjusting, testing, and documenting equipment conditions. Additional duties include training and mentoring crew on operational level maintenance, coordinating maintenance related projects on rigs, and providing appropriate feedback to the jobsite manager and Maintenance Supervisor.
* Perform controls and systems based inspections, services, and repairs on power houses, controls systems, and other drilling rig-related equipment
* Troubleshoot electrical, controls, and systems based issues via phone and while onsite
* Conduct initial start-ups of generator control systems, HVAC systems, and other drilling rig-related systems
* Assist with development and conduct training with operational crews in preventative maintenance checks and services, including how to properly conduct basic and intermediate repairs
* Test and diagnose electromechanical assemblies and/or electrical faults and plan coordination for the repair of the system or systems
* Supervise maintenance related projects on the rig with the rig crew or 3rd parties
* Assist with the development of critical spare and replacement parts listings
* Monitor issues and conduct root cause and trend analysis
* Ability to safely navigate drilling rig work sites with occasional walking, climbing, standing, stepping, etc. during normal rig operating conditions (day/night, outdoor, hot/cold weather, etc.)
* Ability to travel to drilling rig work sites and support business units, occasionally requiring extended travel to remote locations and/or overnight stay(s) outside normal office area
* Lift and carry 20 pounds independently while walking on uneven surfaces
* Bend, stoop, kneel, twist, and crawl occasionally during visits to field and operational work areas
* Limited to moderate use of a variety of hand and power tools to perform a range of mechanically and electrically oriented functions, including independent use of heavy duty handheld and long-handled tools
* Clear vision to judge near and far distances to maintain awareness of, watch, and report ongoing work activities to coworkers and third parties
* Listen for unusual noises that signify equipment and machinery problems
* Accurately recall information over short and long term memory
* Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around work environment with many moving objects
* Stay alert and focused, including during occasional extended work periods
* Demonstrate clear written and verbal communication skills and ability to promptly give, and follow, directions when working with others
* Physical ability to immediately respond to emergency situations
* Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times
* In depth knowledge and understanding of PLCs, VFDs, MCCs, HMIs, single- and 3-phrase systems, fiber optics, network systems, switches, etc.
* Ability to utilize a variety of electrical-related tools (e.g. oscilloscopes, voltmeters, multi-meters, power meters, signal generators, frequency counters, etc.
* Ability to read blueprints, schematics, diagrams, and/or technical orders to determine assembly methods and sequences
* Ability to upload software configurations for PLCs and other controls-related systems
* Knowledge of oil and gas field components, including software and hardware
* Must possess intermediate to advanced level computer skills with a proven ability to utilize Microsoft Office applications, e.g. MS Word, Power Point, Project, Visio, Excel, etc. and other MS software applications
* Established interpersonal skills including ability to interact productively with coworkers, customers, and 3rd parties
* Proficiency with written and oral communication
* Position requires travel up to 75% of working time and includes requirement to work weekends and willingness and availability to be on call beyond regular work hours
* High School Diploma or GED or equivalent education
* 5+ years relevant work experience with electrical and controls based systems
* State-issued driver s license and be eligible to drive a Company vehicle, including ability to meet requirements of Company's Vehicle Use Agreement and Driving Policy
* Bachelor s degree in a computer-/electrical-related field
* Professional work experience with Omron/Amphion Controls
* Professional work experience with HVAC systems, pneumatics, and hydraulic service
* 7+ years experience in oilfield services
* This position requires work both indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions, including precipitation, cold / heat, high wind, and turbulent conditions. The Technician will be regularly exposed to the typical conditions of the local area where the rig is located
* The Technician must work with an emphasis on safety for themselves and others including coworkers and third parties
* They must be willing to work extended schedules that will include working days; and occasionally nights, weekends and holidays
* Frequent travel to other Company offices and drilling rig work sites, often in remote locations, is required during normal rig operating conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather), and employee will be expected to properly use designated personal protective equipment (PPE)
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Organization: Technical Services
Direct Report To: Maintenance Supervisor
How To Apply
To apply, click the "apply now" button at the lower right hand corner of the screen and follow the directions.
Employing subsidiaries of Patterson-UTI Energy, Inc. (Patterson-UTI) are equal opportunity employers and maintain a drug-free workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected under state, federal, or local law.
Amount of Travel
Work At Home.