Senior Counsel- Information Technology Contracts at Cigna
Posted in Legal 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The Senior Counsel – Strategic Transaction position provides enterprise wide support and guidance for global commercial contracting activities, with an emphasis on Information Technology contracts, Business Process Outsourcing and intellectual property matters. The position will work closely with Information Technology, Legal, Compliance, and business colleagues and will report directly to the Associate Chief Counsel for Strategic Transactions.
The position requires an ability to negotiate and draft contract terms across a wide area of contracts, ensure that contracts meet compliance/governance requirements and work with clients at all level on a daily basis. Candidates must have knowledge and expertise in contract drafting, compliance, risk evaluation and management of third-party relationships.
The role will involve the following:
- Contract Drafting and Negotiations: Lead in drafting and negotiating contract terms, including Business Process Outsourcing agreements, templates and guidelines for contracting, including standard alternative clauses
- Information Technology: Working with the IT organization to provide guidance, staffing and support
- International Contracting: Ability and experience in work with International Legal colleagues on contracting and related issues
- Collaboration: Work collaboratively with Legal colleagues and matrix partners to advance contracting work
- Innovation and Intellectual Property: Strong focus on working on contracts involving innovations and associated intellectual property issues
- Risk Management and Compliance: Identification, evaluation and reporting on potential risk risks in connection with commercial contracting; meeting with senior management concerning key risk issues
Training, Education and Presentations: Ability to develop and provide training to all levels of the organization; strong presentation skills, including the ability to present to senior management
- Negotiate various types of consulting, licensing and technology transfer transactions with domestic and international suppliers with a focus on limiting Cigna’s liability, protecting Cigna’s confidentiality and intellectual property rights and protecting CIGNA members’ privacy rights.
- Negotiate major business process outsourcing arrangements with both domestic and international service providers with a focus on achieving enforceability of service providers' performance and service level obligations.
- Negotiate resolutions to disputed matters consistent with Cigna’s objectives.
- Maintain and update a set of approved contract templates for use by Cigna Supply Chain operations
- Support other senior-level attorneys within the corporation on mergers and acquisitions, financing activities and in IP-related litigation matters.
- Create and present training materials on contracting and related matters to the Supply Chain and other contracting staff, product development professionals and members of the Information Technology Operations
- Routinely look for creative interpretations or application of law
- Effectively matrix with critical business partners, including Compliance, Privacy, Information Technology, operations and Corporate/Business Development
- Manage outside counsel on discrete matters as may be required
- Share knowledge and skills in areas of subject matter expertise with other Cigna legal counsel as requested, in keeping with our collaborative environment.
- Lead discussions of stakeholders to gather information and input to achieve goals
- Working with Legal, Compliance and business clients in developing, implementing, and coordinating contracting and governance strategies
- Proactively identify risks of non-compliance applicable to third-party contracts
* This position to be located in PA or CT office.
- J.D., bar membership with minimum 8+ years’ experience
- Exceptional integrity, critical thinking, and ability to lead
- Prior in-house experience preferred
- Strong preference for deep experience in Informational Technology contracts and intellectual property issues
Strong knowledge of regulatory environment affecting business, including HIPAA and related health care regulations
- Demonstrated contract drafting experience
- Comfortable working with ambiguity. Flexible with the ability to adapt to change quickly and lead others through the change management process
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to tailor written and verbal communication across a variety of audiences, including demonstrated ability to provide leadership level reporting
- Proven track record of program management, including effective leadership and on time execution of strategic and tactical objective
- Demonstrated ability to work independently while managing multiple projects and priorities
- Demonstrated ability to identify issues, explain impacts and propose solutions for process improvement
- A highly collaborative self-starter with strong worth ethic, sense of urgency and a willingness to learn new areas and regulatory needs
- Organizational agility including ability to foster and manage positive and influential working relationships in a matrix environment at all levels of management
- Ability to develop and lead training