Principal Software Engineer at DRS Technologies
Posted in Software 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Germantown, Maryland
Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture, which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS Airborne & Intelligence Systems, Germantown, MD specializes in communications-surveillance products that meld both RF and DSP technologies and is a leading worldwide supplier of high-quality signal-intercept equipment. We provide creative RF solutions to the Department of Defense and prime contractors. The facility designs and manufactures HF, VHF, and SHF tuners and receivers, demodulators, direction finders and wireless intercept solutions
Job Location: Germantown, MD
Title: Engineer IV - Software
The candidate hired for this position will work in small, synergistic project teams that give each engineer an opportunity to significantly contribute to the team’s efforts and achievements. Projects often follow a spiral or agile development process enabling engineers to quickly realize unique solutions that use industry-leading latest technology, and solve real-world problems for facing our country and our allies.
We are looking for an experienced embedded software engineer with a background in software defined radio. A strong candidate should be very familiar with wireless communications and signal processing as well as familiar with Linux development including driver development, real time development, the Open Embedded build framework, and networking. The successful candidate should have Linux administration skills and be able to assist in administration of a Linux-based toolset consisting of various software development tools, e.g. a continuous integration tool, a static analysis tool, a defect tracking tool, a configuration management tool, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop conceptual software designs from customer requirements using standard Object Oriented and/or functional methods including use cases, requirements analysis and software modeling techniques.
- Develop innovative software solutions in the areas of real-time systems, embedded systems, wireless communications, as well as, signal detection and acquisition.
- Integrate custom software systems with industry standard frameworks and GUIs, such as GNURadio.
- Work in a dynamic team environment, presenting, communicating and collaborating on concepts, ideas and architectures, while also making significant contribution through individual achievement.
- Support the development of new business through development of attention-grabbing demonstrations and providing well-written technical content to customers and prospective customers.
- Assist in the administration and maintenance of engineering networks and tools.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering or related technical field with more than 7 years of experience in software development, five or more in relevant fields. Candidates with a Master’s degree are also welcome to apply. Non-degreed engineers or candidates with an Associate’s Degree may be considered, if sufficient relevant experience can be demonstrated.
- Qualified candidates must possess significant software development experience with C and C++ including Linux development and administration and the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC). Java a plus.
- Working knowledge of Bash, Perl, Python, other scripting languages, XML, XSD, JSON, SQL is required.
- Candidates should be familiar with several of the following technologies and platforms: Embedded systems design and development, Software Defined Radio, networking including layer 2 and 3 protocols, Linux, Windows, ARM, x86, microcontrollers such as PIC or other. Mobile platforms such as Android are a plus.
- DSP experience and FPGA experience are also a plus
- familiarity with microcontrollers and other programmable devices
- Good written and verbal communications are needed skills for the position.
- U.S Citizenship and the ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance are also requirements for the position.
Leonardo DRS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #AIS