Financial Reporting Analyst at John Hancock
Posted in General Business 12 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Accountable for the preparation of Fund Shareholder Reports, including financial statements, related schedules (financial highlights, expense examples, etc.) and notes to financial statements for funds of low to medium complexity. As well as, accountable for the preparation and review of documents/schedules to be incorporated in regulatory filings including Form N-SAR, Form N-CSR, Form NQ, Form N-MFP and Form N-1a/N-2. In addition, preparation of supporting documents to help facilitate the reporting cycle.
- Prepare annual and semiannual shareholders reports for John Hancock mutual funds of low to medium complexity including financial statements, financial highlights, expense examples and notes to financials.
- Reconcile custodian bank reports and related audit packages and Fund Treasury reports to the shareholder reports produced.
- Review fund trial balances and custody reconciliations for reasonability, participate in the expense reconciliation process to verify that fund accounting is accruing and booking expenses correctly on a monthly basis, and maintaining an accounts payable reconciliation.
- Communication and resolution of accounting and reporting items with Custodian Banks, as necessary.
- Assist with the implementation of new regulatory pronouncements related to the required disclosures in the mutual funds' financial statements
- Coordinate and review the flow of information necessary to complete shareholder reports, including Managers Discussion of Fund Performance, Performance Pages, Portfolio of Investments, tax disclosures and Legal items (Directors and Officers tables, 15(c) inserts, etc.). Requires interaction with internal John Hancock Groups (Fund Administration, Legal, Investment Operations, etc.) to ensure the accuracy, integrity and timeliness of information included.
- Interact with the audit firms to ensure timely delivery of financial statements and related support and resolution of audit issues/requests.
- Prepare/review of audit confirmations. Including the reconciliation and follow-up with third parties.
- Interact with Print Production team to coordinate the timeliness of the completion of shareholder reports in order to hit publishing/regulatory deadlines.
- Prepare reporting and/or supporting schedules for certain SEC filings, including Forms N-SAR, N-CSR, NQ, N-MFP, N-1a and N-2.
- Coordinate with Print Production team and/or external vendors to ensure completeness and accuracy of items included in regulatory filings.
- Preparation of financial data for internal management reporting, DC&P/Certification meetings, proxies and other ad-hoc financial and analytical requests.
- Participate in departmental initiatives, including the annual review and maintenance of policies and procedures, reporting checklists and other projects.
- Assist in Financial Highlights reviews for N-1A updates
- Additional preparation of support for the funds.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors' Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Advanced degree (MBA, MSF or MST) or certification (CPA or CFA) helpful, but not necessary
- 2 years' experience in mutual fund industry or in an accounting/reporting role
- Working knowledge of mutual fund industry including the accounting for mutual funds
- Understanding of SEC rules governing mutual funds and financial reporting including Regulation S-X, Regulation N-1a and N-2 and the Investment Company Act of 1940.
- Understanding of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP) surrounding the accounting and reporting of mutual funds/investment companies.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to work in a fast paced, time sensitive environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong team based work skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Word and Access
- Prior mutual fund industry experience
- Understanding of US GAAP and SEC regulations governing financial reporting and accounting
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife
John Hancock is a division of Manulife Financial Corporation, a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were over $1.1 trillion (US$850 billion) as of March 31, 2018. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as MFC on the TSX, NYSE, and PSE, and under 945 on the SEHK. Manulife can be found at manulife.com.
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports approximately 10.7 million Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, and college savings plans. We also offer advice through Signator, a network of independent financial advisors. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.
Agency submissions and contacts are by invitation only and must be initiated by John Hancock's Recruiting Department only. Unsolicited agency submissions will not be honored.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V