Customer Service Specialist 2 at Central Washington University
Posted in Other 22 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Location: Ellensburg, WashingtonJob Description:
Central Washington University
To apply for a job at Central Washington University, please go to careers.cwu.edu. Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job ID 1974
Full/Part Time Full-Time
The Student Financial Services (SFS) Customer Service Specialist independently supports the customer service function of the financial aid office by processing high amounts of financial aid application data/files in a fast and accurate manner. This position is knowledgeable of a variety of federal, state, and institutional financial aid and student account policies and procedures and must be able to share this knowledge with students, families, and staff. In this capacity, the incumbent plays a critical role in the University's recruitment and retention efforts.
- Provides day-to-day customer service support in all aspects of financial aid processing, including, but not limited to: assisting with high volumes of applications, verifying application data, determining eligibility, issuing and/or revising awards, adding scholarships and other funds to student awards, and adjusting other aid according to policy.
- Returns student calls/emails to clarify requests and answer questions about the "how" and "why" their financial aid is processed and help clarify the resulting outcomes. Refers complex issues to supervisor or appropriate financial aid counselor.
- Interprets a broad range of rules, laws, policies, and procedures related to various types of financial aid; provides accurate information sometimes under tight time constraints while dealing with upset or emotional customers.
- Accountable for properly following procedures used to process and distribute funds. Analyze large amounts of detailed data and take corrective action under tight time constraints. Contributes to development of system solutions for recurring problems.
- Participates in financial aid review and processing in support of customer service activities to verify applicant data, review and verify accuracy and authenticity of tax forms, W2 forms, immigration/citizenship documents and other documents as needed. Ensures documents submitted meet the requirements established by the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC).
- Takes appropriate action if conflicting information or evidence of fraud is discovered. Makes corrections to the application and/or ask for additional information as needed and under tight time constraints. Notifies supervisor or Financial Aid Counselor, if needed.
- Uses the Administrative system (PeopleSoft), and exports and imports data with other Financial Aid systems such as Common Origination Disbursement system (COD), National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA); Financial Aid Administrator Access, Central Process Service (CPS), WSAC secure portal, ELM (private loan processing Center) in support of customer service and processing activities.
- Responsible for an assigned program management area such as consumer information, guaranteed sources, aid for study abroad, tuition waivers, etc. to provide coverage of all required programs.
- Reconciles assigned program disbursements with program funding source.
- Completes fund reconciliation with outside agencies, and train other employees in the detailed workings of the specialization.
- Remains current in the field, through self-study, in-person/web-based training, use of professional publications, manuals, and Internet resources, and participate in developing procedures relevant to customer service in the Office of Financial Aid.
- Acquires and maintains technical proficiency of Financial Aid and Student Account Management system screens containing detailed and confidential information on financial aid, individual document tracking, verification, application status, eligibility status, and award data. Reconciles social security numbers on ISIR data from FAFSA with a CWU Student ID and creating CWU ID's if needed.
- Develops a working knowledge of Admissions, Registrar, and Housing functions in order to assist students and parents with the financial aid process and to refer students and parents to the appropriate personnel or offices.
- Back up the Financial Aid Counselors by providing limited advice to clients regarding a broad range of financial aid rules, regulations, policies and procedures including some basic U.S. Tax filing rules. Occasionally provide counseling via telephone and e-mail for center students.
- Other duties as assigned
- Clerical experience.
- Working experience in a professional office environment.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and retain complex and technical information.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret, apply and explain policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated excellent written/oral communication skills.
- Experience with Microsoft office and related applications.
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Bachelor degree
- 1-year experience in financial aid.
- Experience working with PeopleSoft Campus Solutions.
- Working knowledge of Federal/State financial aid rules and policies.
- Working experience providing customer service in a supporting role, resolving issues, problems, and complaints; with a diverse population.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $2535/month with periodic increases up to $3276/month
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch) / PSE Bargaining Unit 6
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required.
Benefits : CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: March 16, 2018
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name: Alice Fulleton
Title: Office Manager, Student Financial Services
Phone: (509) 963-3049
Website: Student Financial Services
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
This position is part of a Public School Employees of Washington (PSE) bargaining unit. New employees are required to meet the membership requirements of the current collective bargaining agreement within 30 calendar days of employment.
The seniority date for the selected applicant shall be set in accordance with Article 43.2 of the Public School Employees (PSE) collective bargaining agreement.