Senior Buyer - Capital and Operational Services at American Water Works Service Company Inc
Posted in Purchasing - Procurement 25 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: greenwood, Indiana
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
The Senior Buyer position manages the sourcing of goods, services, and projects while continuously identifying and implementing opportunities to lower total cost of ownership. This position performs services on high level capital and expense categories. Activities include leading cross functional project teams, executing sourcing strategies, and driving supplier relationship management.
This position can be based out of Lexington, Kentucky, or Greenwood, Indiana.
- Prepare bid packages, statement of work documents, and requests (RFP/RFI) according to specifications and business requirements while supporting business with all commercial needs including dispute resolution and contract interpretation.
- Build, lead, and maintain development of sourcing strategies from project identification through close-out including alternative sourcing options.
- Build and maintain Supplier/Contractor relationships with the objective of reducing total costs, increasing productivity, and eliminating inefficiencies in the supply chain.
- Measure compliance to and effectiveness of unit-cost and other framework agreements
- Support Company risk management objectives in areas such as safety and insurance requirements.
- Drive use of spend analytics and market research in order to develop profiles for assigned category(s)
- Lead supplier business reviews with key suppliers and business stakeholders
- Drive development of KPI’s for both supplier and category performance while using subject matter expertise and supplier industry knowledge to establish "should cost" models, identify opportunities, and drive supplier negotiations.
- Drive collaborative relationships with business, state leadership and business operations management in order to gather feedback, understand issues, recognize opportunities, and influence category strategies
Knowledge / Skills
- SAP knowledge a plus
- Analytical problem solving skills to produce best product/service at lowest total cost of ownership within required time frames.
- Business acumen to analyze commercial business, procurement issues and risk management issues with continuous improvement mindset.
- Knowledge of sourcing strategies, and methodologies related to service and construction procurement.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written presentation form.
- Ability work in a collaborative team environment within Supply Chain and stakeholders.
- Knowledge of SAP (Preferred)
- Extensive knowledge and experience in Microsoft Office Products
- Understanding of Lean / Six Sigma concepts and tools
- Ability to work on multiple assignments effectively.
- Knowledge of relevant supply markets and understanding of sources of supply market intelligence.
- Experience analyzing industry trends and conditions to inform sourcing strategies
- Knowledge and ability to utilize e procurement tools effectively
Functional / Technical Skills
Learning on the Fly
Experience / Education
- Minimum 6 years’ total work experience (4 Years for Buyer level)
- Minimum 4 years’ of procurement or category management experience (2 years for Buyer level)
- Utility procurement experience a plus
- Experience working in matrixed organizations
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, Finance, Engineering or related disciplines or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses & Certifications
CPSM (Certified Professional in Supply Management) or CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager) a plus.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.