Principal Embedded Software Engineer* (Monroe, NC) at 3M
Posted in Software 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: monroe, North Carolina
3M is seeking a Principal Embedded Software Engineer for the Scott Safety group located in Monroe, NC. At 3M, you can apply your talents in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Principal Embedded Software Engineer is responsible for development of embedded software, ability to work closely with hardware engineers on developing firmware for embedded products which include: respiratory protection devices including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), gas and flame detection, and personal protective equipment (PPE). This candidate should have experience implementing best practice methods and techniques for all phases of firmware development, documentation, version control and maintenance. The position of Principal Embedded Software Engineer at Scott Safety has the unique opportunity and responsibility to provide technical leadership and innovation to craft simple, elegant solutions to complex embedded sensing challenges. As such, this position requires an experienced professional with extensive experience in producing high-quality, robust, embedded firmware in a real-time operating system environment.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Embedded software design and development for Scott Safety’s product line
- Participate in design reviews with internal and external team engineering / product teams
- Provide development schedules for firmware modules under development
- Participate in developing processes
- Ensure product meets customer and reliability requirements, define firmware test requirements and processes
- Isolate root cause and resolve firmware issues in existing products
- Generate and preserve documentation of firmware requirements and revisions
- Hands on approach to testing, including proof of concept, design validation and regulatory agency approval
- Communicate to Program Engineering and Program Management accepted ideas for implementation, status of existing ideas and overall performance to target
- Creative engineer with superb problem solving and analytical skills
- Manages own time to accomplishes goals on schedule
- Is flexible with change and embraces challenges with an open mind
- Demonstrated ability to represent the company professionally with internal and external customers
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a Science or Engineering discipline from an accredited institution
- Minimum of nine (9) years of experience in embedded software development
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in C / C++ programming on multiple microprocessor architectures (e.g. ARM Cortex-M)
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in embedded software design for scalability and flexibility
- Minimum of four (4) years of RTOS (e.g. Micrium, ThreadX) design and architecture experience
- Experience with IDE’s (e.g. IAR)
- Experience with wireless communications (Bluetooth, Zigbee, WiFi)
- Experience with common hardware interfaces (e.g. SPI, I2C, UART, ADC, DAC)
- Experience in embedded software design for low-power product applications
- Experience in Software Development Life Cycle
- Experience with version control tools (e.g. git, svn)
- Experience with code review tools (e.g. Code Collaborator, Crucible)
- Experience with tracking tools (e.g. JIRA, Teamforge)
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science from an accredited university
- Experience designing bare-metal embedded software
- Understanding of the IoT ecosystem and understanding constraints when using low-power devices
- Windows application development
- Ability to manage multiple projects under time constraints
- Very strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop relationships and engage with people quickly
- Experience working in a geographically diverse development organization with multi-disciplinary teams
Location: Monroe, NC
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic and international
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status.)
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
See job description.