Posted in Other 20 days ago.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Clinic serves patients of all ages requiring oral surgery. The Clinic has a very collegial atmosphere with an emphasis on teamwork.
The Oral Surgery Nurse is responsible for the ongoing clinical care of the patients receiving sedation in the OMFS clinic.
The nursing team is seeking a full time R.N. day shift, with some flexibility in scheduling, Monday through Friday. communication, cooperation and professionalism.
Weekends and holidays are EXCLUDED. There is no on-call.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
The nurse serves as a clinical resource in the management of patient care. Provides nursing support for busy
(25,000 visits/yr), procedure-oriented outpatient clinic using local and intravenous sedation/general anesthesia in a setting where both care and educational goals are achieved.
1. Clinical responsibilities/Patient Care Management
• I.V. placement.
• Administration of procedural sedation medications.
• Hemodynamic monitoring during oral surgery.
• Post operative recovery.
• Patient teaching.
• Follow up assessment via telephone.
• Checks and maintains all emergency equipment (i.e. code carts)
• Reviews and updates service specific policies and procedures.
• Maintains a safe environment for patients and staff with assigned area.
• Collaborates with the Administrative Manager to implement established standards for compliance with JCAHO, OSHA, HIPAA and hospital guidelines.
• Maintains patient standards, policies and practices of the department.
• Serves as a nursing liaison for the unit and coordinates communication and planning with other hospital departments.
• Attends meetings within the Department of Nursing as directed by the Unit Chief, Administrative Manager and Administrative Director.
• Performs all other duties and responsibilities as determined necessary by the Unit Chief and the Administrative Manager.
2 Professional Development:
• Indentifies learning needs and goals, and designs a plan to meet them.
• Maintains required clinical and supervisory skills through self-directed practice and continuing education. o Examples of CE Include:
• Course work on patient and staff safety, management of hazardous materials, sterilization techniques, fundamentals of ambulatory anesthesia, development and enhancement of software skills, BLS and ACLS training and certification and laser safety.
• Completes annual training requirements
• Participates in staff conferences with multidiscipline participation to establish comprehensive goals for patient care.
• Develops and implements case planning on clinic- wide basis for common, specific management challenges,
i.e. develop and implement a protocol for the management of patients who are anti-coagulated.
SHAPE \* MERGEFORMAT
• Licensed R.N. in Massachusetts.
• Baccalaureate Degree.
• Critical care experience.
• I.V. placement skills
• BLS certification
• ACLS certification
• PALS certification/willingness to obtain certification.
• Competency in Procedural Sedation/willingness to obtain competency.
• Ability to work with staff that has varied clinical backgrounds.
• Critical thinking skills and ability to function in an emergency situation.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.