This position can either be part time or full time! Please let us know your preference.
Histology Specialist, Dermatology Surgery
The incumbent will work under the direction of the Nurse Coordinator and Dermatologic surgeons. Responsible for performing laboratory procedures and maintain the laboratory. Works with staff members to ensure a quality-based customer-oriented flow of work through the ambulatory practice.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Histology Lab Responsibilities
Processing of Tissue
Receive tissue specimen from surgeon.
Embeds specimens ensuring proper orientation
Process tissue for frozen sectioning
Able to produce slides cutting on different microns with cryostat
Able to produce 1st stage slides with full skin edge.
Stains slides, with routine and special stains according to approved procedures to enhance certain tissue elements required for diagnosis.
Cover slips and labels stained slides.
Examines slides with microscope to ascertain that the results are satisfactory
Ensures all blocks and slides are clerically correct. Assembles and collates slides. Distributes slides to residents and dermatology Mohs surgeons
Document Mohs surgeries daily in log book.
Labeling and storage of slides
• Maintain order in laboratory and compliance to safety regulations.
• Keep all Q.C./Q.A. charts.
• Review regulated manuals annually.
Order laboratory supplies and maintain invoice/order records.
Receive laboratory supplies and appropriately store supplies.
• Liaison with sales representatives for laboratory equipment and supplies.
Maintenance and monitoring of all laboratory equipment (i.e., arranging, repair work, cleaning and/or general maintenance of equipment).
Maintains current policies and procedures for all laboratory functions.
Implements laboratory safety.
Updates Laboratory Management Manual yearly or as policies change.
• Maintain and store lab records and patient specimen slides
• Maintain and updating OSHA and CLIA records
Other non-laboratory Responsibilities
• Acts as back-up for receptionist (i.e. check in and checkout patients, cover a break period)
• Label and file digital pictures in database.
Order office supplies and maintain invoice/order records
• Prepares instruments and surgical trays for sterilization
• Cares for instruments and supplies according to established procedures ensuring bi-annual sharpening.
• Minimum of a high school diploma or graduate of a NCCALS approved school of Histotechnology required
• One to two years of clinical experience or three to four years histology experience in a research setting required.
• Directed related experience in a Mohs surgical lab strongly preferred.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.