Posted in Other 5 days ago.
Location: Falmouth, Massachusetts
The primary purpose of your job is to assist in the surgical services under the supervision of a fully licensed physician in accordance with current Federal, State and Local standards, guidelines and regulations that govern the facility.
DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY:
As the Physician Assistant, you are delegated the administrative authority, responsibility and accountability necessary for carrying out your assigned duties.
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENT / DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Accountability: Technical Duties:
1. Assist the surgeon in performing any surgical procedures as a first or second assistant.
2. Demonstrate an extensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
3. Perform operative procedures; i.e. tie vessels, retract tissue, assist in closure, apply sutures, and wound dressings, etc.
4. Assist the anesthesiologist at the induction anesthesia.
5. Assist in the outpatient surgical procedure to include endoscopy, fiber optic colonoscopy and bronchoscopy.
6. Assist the Emergency Room in trauma and resuscitation cases.
7. The Physician Assistant may perform or assist in the following technical procedures:
b. nasogastric intubation and gastric lavage.
c. Routine urinalysis.
d. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
f. nasotracheal suction.
g. Draw and examine blood.
h. Collect and examine stool.
i. Obtaining material for cultures.
j. Perform and read skin tests.
k. Record electrocardiograms.
l. Administer medications.
m. Care of superficial wounds.
n. Remove sutures.
o. Remove impacted cerumen.
p. Strap and splint sprains or non-displaced fractures, remove casts, and apply traction.
q. Intravenous therapy.
THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE PERFORMED ONLY IN THE PHYSICAL PRESENCE OF A SUPERVISIONG PHYSICIAN:
1. Application of circular casts.
2. Placement of sutures.
3. Respond to emergency requests from the professional nursing staff.
In an emergency, the Physician Assistant renders medical services necessary to avoid disability or death of an injured person until a licensee arrives.
COMMON OPERATIONS AT MARTHAS VINEAYRD HOSPITAL IN WHICH THE PHYSICIAN ASSISTNAT WOULD ACT AS FIRST ASSISTANT:
3. Operation on small or large bowel or stomach.
5. Hernia repair.
6. Incision and drainage abscesses.
7. Routine pinning of fractured hip, insertion of Moore's prostheses of fractured hip.
8. Open reduction of fracture.
9. Nerve release in carpal tunnel syndrome.
11. Ligation and stripping of varicose veins.
13. fiber-optic bronchoscopy and gastroscopy.
14. Dilation and curettage.
15. Routine hysterectomy, tubal ligation, salphingectomy for ectopic pregnancy.
16. retropubic prostatectomy.
17. orchidectomy and caesarean section.
18. All Laparoscopic surgery.
19. Any other procedures deemed appropriate by the Chief of Surgery.
Knowledge of medical philosophy, ethics, terminology, chemistry, anatomy, and pharmacology.
Understands hospital departmental structure and physician, nurse, patient relationship.
Accountability: Age Specific Competency
1. Evaluates for age-appropriate behavior motor skills and physiological norms of patients.
2. Recognizes patient's psychological development and modifies approaches for patients.
3. Recognizes potential psychological development and modifies approaches with patients.
4. Indentifies increased physical/emotional dependency needs and evaluates availability.
• Graduate of an approved Physician's Assistant program with a Massachusetts license.
• Minimum of one year clinical experience in a residency program or employed as a technician in a hospital based department.