Posted in General Business 11 days ago.
Location: Alameda, California
Every Exelixis employee is united in an ambitious cause: to launch innovative medicines that give patients and their families hope for the future. In this pursuit, we know our employees are our most valuable asset. After operating in the challenging biotech sector for 25 years, we have a proven track record of resiliency in the face of adversity. The success of our lead product has provided a solid commercial foundation allowing us to reinvigorate our research efforts, and grow our team in areas such as Drug Discovery, Clinical Development and Commercial.
As we expand our global partnerships and further reinvest in R&D to help us discover the next breakthrough for difficult-to-treat cancers, we're seeking to add talented, dedicated employees to power our mission.
Cancer is our cause. Make it yours, too.
The Legal Administrator provides administrative support to the Executive Vice President & General Counsel and senior staff in the Legal Affairs, Compliance, and Government Affairs departments. In addition to executive administrative support, this role will work in tandem with Legal Operations to ensure full support of the department's needs. The individual will handle details of a confidential and critical nature and must be able to maintain professional and ethical standards at all times.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides expert support on a variety of extremely complex administrative and organizational tasks for each functional group within the Legal organization, including Corporate Legal Affairs, Commercial, Contracts, Patents, Compliance and Government Affairs
• Conserves executive's time by reading, researching, filing and routing complex and/or confidential correspondences; drafting letters, documents, and reports using word processing and spreadsheet software; collecting and analyzing information; and initiating telecommunications.
• Works closely with teams of outside counsel in arranging meetings and assistance when needed.
• Maintains calendars, schedules appointments, and makes travel arrangements; prepares reimbursement and expense reports; and handles business transactions of a highly confidential and critical manner.
• Effectively and courteously screens callers and handles complex and sensitive inquiries/calls from internal and external sources.
• Supports distribution of templated executive emails to internal distribution lists that he or she maintains.
• Assists and acts as a back-up to the department system administrator for the Thomson Reuters' Legal Tracker and eBilling system ("Serengeti").
• Performs basic legal research.
• Manages contracts, purchase orders, and invoice processing with AP/Purchasing.
• Responsible for the organization of Legal staff meetings, luncheons, trainings and other events and activities.
• Acts as an information source on administrative and company policies, procedures, or controls; evaluates current operations to identify and implement process improvements.
• Works in partnership with the Manager of Executive Administration and the Executive Admin team to ensure that the Executives are all aligned in accordance with corporate goals, culture, and values, including providing back-up assistance to other admin's when necessary and providing support of company-wide events.
• Complies with all company health & safety policies and procedures.
• There are no supervisory responsibilities for this job.
• May provide guidance and lead the activities of lower-level staff, by sharing best practices and processes.
• Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) in a related field and three years of related experience; or,
• Master's degree (MA/MS/MBA) in a related field and one year of related experience.
• Certification as a Notary Public (or willingness to obtain such certification at company expense)
• Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Prior clerical and administrative experience including handling logistics, typing, editing, distributing information, filing, telephone, etc.
• High level experience supporting executives in a fast-paced environment.
• Previous experience working in a biopharma corporate Legal department preferred.
• Finance and budgeting experience and familiarity with Serengeti Legal Tracker is a plus.
• In-depth knowledge of company Legal operations, policies and procedures with the ability to act as information source.
• Expert, up-to-date knowledge of relevant desktop systems and software and ability to apply them to maximize department effectiveness and problem solving.
• Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts in field of specialty as well as general understanding and knowledge in other related disciplines.
• Strong attention to detail; able to manage multiple-step procedures and handle frequent interruptions in work flow along with the ability to work quickly, efficiently, and cope with high-volume of work.
• Exhibits professionalism and composure in stressful situations and in meeting short deadlines.
• Expert computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, Outlook Express. IT experience is a plus.
• Ability to set up and maintain filing systems and track recurring department information.
• Ability to prioritize and organize complex, confidential, time sensitive tasks and display well-developed project management skills.
• Ability to demonstrate superior judgment and common sense in making critical decisions.
• Ability to meet unplanned and/or tight deadlines.
• Ability to initiate improvements and consistently drive optimal service.
• Ability to accurately type 85+ words per minute.
• Maintains a record of exceptional accomplishments and consistently demonstrates leadership on assignments and among their peers.
• Routinely anticipates and takes initiative to solve problems.
• Demonstrates clear evidence of successful and creative efforts contributing to projects, problem-solving,
• Ability to independently draft very complex communications effectively.
• Ability to communicate effectively in person, by phone and by email with visitors and all employee levels.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
• Uses professional concepts and company policies and procedures to solve a wide range of difficult problems in imaginative and practical way.
• Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.