Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
Location: Galveston, Texas
This is an exciting time to join our dynamic organization. OPKO Health is a diversified healthcare company that seeks to establish industry-leading positions in large, rapidly growing markets, including pharmaceuticals, diagnostics, and biologics. OPKO's diagnostics business includes BioReference Laboratories, the nation's third-largest and fastest growing clinical laboratory over the last 35 years, which provides diagnostic testing to physician offices, hospitals, and clinics, among others, and GeneDx, a rapidly growing genetics and genomics laboratory that applies cutting edge technologies to make efficient clinical diagnostic testing and interpretation available for individuals with rare and common genetic conditions. Come join our team and become part of something big, by making our patients and customers the highest priority.
Under the general supervision of the Site Manager, the nasal swabber/collector will provide service to patients, maintain their facility, and follow directives. Types of collections may include: Nasopharyngeal swab, Oropharyngeal swab, Mid-turbinate swab, or anterior nasal swab. All BioReference policies will be followed for Privacy and OSHA for safety in the work Environment.
PRINCIPAL JOB DUTIES:
Duties may include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
* Properly explains in a clear but courteous manner the process of the swabbing
* Collects swabs for professional clientele
* Collects and stores specimens according to established procedures
* Verifies patient identification, verifies all tests ordered and completes all required demographic data and requisitions
* Contacts client to retrieve any missing data
* Records (performs) daily temperatures, decontamination, and performs all other necessary documentation requirements
* Maintains a clean & safe work environment
* Maintains supply inventory and accurately replenishes supplies upon completion of daily operations
* Wears appropriate PPE, approved scrubs, and appropriate footwear during specimen collection/processing
* Understands compliance protocols and (PHI/HIPAA)
* Complies with OSH and DEP regulations regarding barrier protection, sharps disposal, hazardous waste disposal (retaining manifests), and proper specimen transport
* Completes annual training and completes continuing education training.
* Notifies their Site Manager of any incidents or issues immediately
* Understands patient adverse reactions protocols
* Follows proper incident procedures in the event of an accident, specimen breakage, specimen spill, and patient injury
* Reviews outlook throughout the day for any new corporate emails that may include operational updates /memos
* Other duties as assigned
* High School Diploma or GED
* Valid Phlebotomy certification for the state where employed as required by state (CA & LA require license, FL requires certification)
* Lab assistant training, medical assistant training or similar formal clinical education
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to work in a team environment
* Problem solving skills
* Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
* Excellent patient interaction skills both in person and by phone
* Strong attention to detail and the ability to work independently
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
* Ability to lift 20 pounds
* Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning), biohazardous body fluids, and hazardous chemicals
BioReference Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer