The R&D Lab Technician will provide support to the Catalyst R&D and Catalyst Process R&D groups. The qualified candidate will join an enthusiastic group of PhD chemists, Engineers, Technicians and Technologists responsible for the discovery, preparation, evaluation, scale up and commercialization of polyolefin catalysts for the gas phase and solution phase technologies. The incumbent will work directly with chemists and engineers and other technicians to ensure catalyst development projects deliverables and milestones are achieved. This role covers several aspects of catalyst development support.
* Follow operating discipline principles, procedures and practices to ensure safe and efficient laboratory operation.
* Operate and maintain laboratory scale spray drier
* Prioritizing and coordinating workflow of catalyst sample preparation with the catalyst evaluation facility's schedule.
* Maintain inventory of raw materials, consumables and spare parts
* General housekeeping and RCRA waste handling
* Collaborate with scientists on experimental design and sample size optimization
* Record and report result via electronic notebook (ELN), MS Excel, etc.
* Track quality and reliability of the spray dried catalyst samples.
* Maintains inventories of consumable materials, chemicals, and supplies related to activities by anticipating usage rates, order lead times, and ordering/purchasing procedures.
* Promptly and effectively communicates issues to Technology Leader or lead scientists in order to enable or accelerate problem resolution.
* Actively participate in work group team meetings to address safety, process improvement, problem solving, and other work group, department, and functional topics.
The role requires experience with laboratory scale spray drier operation, maintenance and repair. Knowledge of flammable and pyrophoric liquids and solids and their safe handling is required as well as the ability to work with and maintain the integrity of reagents that are air and moisture sensitive. The candidate will be accountable for the quality of the data generated. The Ability to multitask and meticulous attention to details are needed to deliver value to Dow. Good verbal and communication skills and the capacity to interact effectively with coworkers at all levels. The role requires and high level of independence and initiative, self-motivation, interpersonal effectiveness and reliability. A talent to coach and train others and the ability to learn new techniques would help define a strong candidate.
The Dow Chemical Company does not offer relocation assistance for this position. This includes reimbursement for travel expenses incurred to and from test sessions/interviews. If you apply for a position that is not within the area in which you reside, you will be responsible for all costs that you incur.
* A minimum 3 years of laboratory experience in a similar field is required
* Must be 18 years old or older.
* Must be willing to work overtime (extra hours beyond your regular scheduled) if required.
* A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process
* SAP experience is preferred
* Experience with LIMS is also preferred.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Good interpersonal skills are required.
* Must have strong multi-tasking, problem solving and time management skills.
* Demonstrate leadership skills - inspire others and lead them through influence.
* A self-starter who can identify, prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks.
Must be willing and able to do the following with or without a reasonable accommodation.
* Wear safety equipment, such as goggles
* A minimum of an Associate's Degree is required.
This role will have an assessment to complete during the application process. Please allow 30 minutes - 1 hour to complete the assessment at the time of application. You will not be able to save your application for later.
Even if you have taken this assessment before please click on the link. An assessment is required for each position you apply to.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth, asset integration and scale, focused innovation and leading business positions to achieve profitable growth. The Company's ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company, with a purpose to deliver a sustainable future for the world through our materials science expertise and collaboration with our partners. Dow's portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility and consumer care. Dow operates 106 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 35,700 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $39 billion in 2020. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us or you may call us at 1-800-523-3945.