Job Description: About Nouryon We are a global specialty chemicals leader. Industries worldwide rely on our essential chemistry in the manufacture of everyday products such as paper, plastics, building materials, food, pharmaceuticals, and personal care items. Building on our nearly 400-year history, the dedication of our 10,000 employees, and our shared commitment to business growth, strong financial performance, safety, sustainability, and innovation, we have established a world-class business and built strong partnerships with our customers. We operate in over 80 countries around the world and our portfolio of industry-leading brands includes Eka, Dissolvine, Trigonox, and Berol. https://www.nouryon.comPurpose/Key Objectives of the Job
• Provide professional engineering support services including coordination with company technical representatives, comprehensive project management, and technical expertise.
• Provide process troubleshooting and process optimization services for all process operations within the plant site as directed.
• Acquire and maintain technical competence on company standards. Coordinate expertise and related objectives with other company plant sites.
• Learn and adhere to HSE&S standards including Life Saving rules.
• Acquire and maintain competence in Process Safety responsibilities.
• Assume role of site Continuous Improvement
• The Process Improvement Engineer will be responsible for driving a culture of continuous improvement within the site. This role has responsibility for assessing opportunities for waste elimination and driving operational excellence across all areas in the site. He/she will lead and support CI implementation and sustainability, acting as the point of contact for all the related areas in the corporate level. Coaching the execution of root cause problem solving analysis, implementing counter measures and driving action plans.
• As CI Engineer, this position is part of the Site Leadership Team and provides an outstanding development opportunity and visibility within Nouryon.
• Drive and champion CI tools including but not limited to 5S, Standardize work, Root-cause analysis, L6S projects, Performance management.
• Manage site improvement portfolio (site funnel) and kaizens in all areas
• Build organizational capabilities on continuous improvement
• Lead Green Belt Six Sigma projects
• Drive site KPI improvement
Typical Duties Responsibilities
• Design and implement process, equipment and system improvements.
• Conduct process troubleshooting and implement optimizations.
• Effectively communicate with all department personnel. Coordinate activities with Operations, Industrial IT, Plant Engineering and Maintenance representatives.
• Maintain required documentation. Follow all applicable management system requirements. Provide employee training as needed.
• Evaluate reports and data and coordinate response action as needed.
• Participate and represent the Moses Lake plant in technical matters with external groups.
• Interrelate with operations to greatest extent possible. Provide off-hour support if and as necessary. Acquire and maintain emergency response knowledge.
• Acquire and maintain HSES expertise associated with position, including Nouryon PSM Framework and Hazard Study techniques like HazOp and LOPA skills (Company will provide training).
• Drive performance through KPIs and develop and improve metrics continuously
• Maintain and further develop continuous improvement program at the site
• Develop and expand local capabilities in applying continuous improvement tools and methods (Lean, Six Sigma) and promote a structured problem-solving approach.
• Facilitate CI initiatives and inject passion for this activity by providing a vision and direction for the future development and performance of the site
• Give reinforcement training on selected CI topics
• Local contact for Continuous Improvement related initiatives including Lean Six Sigma projects
• Train and coach site management and staff in leading and implementing change and ensure sustainability of improvements
• Conduct shop-floor activity analyses, interviews, data gathering and analysis and compile into improvement opportunities and impact
• Lead Green Belt projects
• Responsible for maintaining a positive and professional work environment in activities relating internal and external to the department. This includes such issues as personnel relations, exemplifying a role of leadership, training and development of personnel, maintaining proper communications, and supporting management objectives.
• There are no permanent direct supervisory responsibilities for this position. However, contractor supervision, and providing employee direction on various projects, as required. Associated competencies needed to be maintained.
• Share "Management On-Call" responsibilities for evening, weekends and holidays.
• Responsible for making safety related decisions and ensuring that safety requirements are followed and maintained.
• Responsible for the support and application of all Safety, Health, and Environmental policies and procedures as required.
• Budget decisions within agreed budget according to Nouryon purchasing procedures.
• Represent the Plant as a CI Engineer and leading the implementation of Corporate CI programs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor of Science Degree (B.S.) in Chemical Engineering with 2+ years of experience with previous knowledge of continuous improvement tools.
Green Belt certified preferred (must be willing to be trained and pursue Green Belt certification).
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must have a high-level expertise in the ability to operate and use personal computers with current authorized company software packages.
Ability to understand proper operating criteria for some large mechanical/process pieces of equipment (static and mobile) in order to be able to make a judgment on their safe operation.