Manager - Supplier Quality Assurance at Mars Incorporated
Posted in Management 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Hackettstown, New Jersey
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Position Title: Supplier Quality Assurance Manager - Packs & Premia
Reports To: Director – Supplier Quality Assurance
Location: Hackettstown, NJ (HKT)
# Direct Reports: 5
Purpose of Role:
The primary role of the Packs & Premia Manager - Supplier Quality Assurance (SQA) is to lead a team of category experts in the execution of the packaging and premia quality management (PQM and PrQM, respectively) sourcing processes. This role manages a group of associates that assures “fit for purpose” for packaging and premia (promotional products used to extend brand awareness) materials that meet/exceed the needs of regional manufacturing sites, deploys the Mars Inc. PQM and PrQM sourcing methodologies for a range of packaging and premia materials and risk levels. Ongoing responsibilities of the role include ensuring continuous supplier process improvement, identifying and executing cost improvement initiatives, assuring food/human/product safety, continuous quality improvement, and performing supplier site visits and audits.
The role requires functional expertise in food, organics and/or snack materials along with inorganic material science knowledge in support of packaging/premia. The Packs & Premia Manager - Supplier Quality Assurance (SQA) interacts extensively with the Commercial buying team, manufacturing, packaging/premia commodity development functions. In addition, this role will have accountability for delivering metrics (business unit, segment, and global) related supplier performance as defined by the global sourcing strategies.
- Development of a high performing team of SQA associates and to provide functional and leadership effectiveness by delivering results through others. Demonstrates leadership by setting direction and deploying resources.
- Manage and lead the development and continuous improvement of the regional SQA quality manual, quality management reviews, and related processes such as SQA audit processes. This includes the ongoing management and development of the Mars Inc. audit process in addition to management of external audit capabilities. Provides governance and oversight to the regional supplier list.
- Leads the commercial division packaging/premia quality and product safety change management processes through review of new/existing specifications with the connection to goods supplying locations, development and implementation of work instructions, training, and problem-solving to assure compliance to Mars Global Standards.
- Work in partnership with Commercial Sourcing, Buying Operations, R&D, and Supply to identify and execute inbound material cost, quality, food/product safety, and efficiency/innovation projects. Translate theses sourcing strategies into an actionable resource plan for SQA.
- Assures quality and consistency of packaging/premia within the market by performing supplier site audits, ensures completion of identified corrective actions, creates material risk assessments and supplier improvement plans. Performs supplier performance reviews and manages supplier performance metrics
Mission Critical Competencies
- Building Effective Teams
- Managing and Measuring Work
- Command Skills
- Leverages Connections
- Directing Others
- Science and Technology
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
- Effectively manage relationships with all internal and external clients.
- Advanced understanding of quality management systems/schemes and food/product safety management programs (i.e., GMP, HACCP, Statistics, etc.)
- Excellent auditing skills
- Process Improvement methodologies
- Statistical Process Control
- Demonstrated troubleshooting ability
- Knowledge of food processing equipment and controls
- Familiarity with food law and regulatory guidelines
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to drive positive change at supplier locations
- BS degree in Chemistry, Food Science, Engineering or related technical field
- 5 + years of experience in a technical area such as Quality Assurance, R&D packaging/product/process development, manufacturing, or engineering
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time (approximately 1 wk/period)
- The physical capability of working in a manufacturing environment is essential
- Computer skills must be proficient to use data input and retrieval systems, spreadsheets, word processing and presentations.
- 8 + years of experience in a technical area such as Quality Assurance, R&D packaging/product/process development, manufacturing, or engineering.
- Previous line management experience and proven track record of professional development of associates.
- Proficient in a foreign language (i.e. Spanish, Portuguese)
Decision Making Authority and Impact
- Hiring and staffing in the team. Providing career/development planning and associate performance reviews
- Proper supplier risk assessment and food safety controls under the Supplier Quality Assurance function directly prevents manufacture of adulterated product. Product destructions and recalls due to improper controls can quickly result in $1M or more negative impact to the business
- Resource allocations within budget (approx. $300K)
- Product conformance to specifications and requirements
- Placing non-conforming product on “hold”
- Notification of raw material quality and safety issues. Identifying risks and expedient communication of issues
- Approval of suppliers as extensions of market manufacturing sites
- Risk categorization of suppliers
- Directing the use of resources within the broader SQA organization.
- Supplier-based quality system improvements
- Prioritization of continuous improvement activity and resource allocation to achieve improvements
- Inputs into global and regional Supplier Quality Assurance Strategy
- Disposition of non-conforming product and fitness for use of materials not meeting specification
- Modifications to raw material and packaging specifications
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.