Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
JOB TITLE: Pharmacy Student Intern
Under the direction and supervision of a Registered Pharmacist, utilizes established policies and procedures to maintain and distribute drugs and pharmaceuticals to patient care units and other areas throughout the Hospital. Under general supervision, manufactures the products dispensed by the Sterile Products Room, focusing on quality control monitoring. Responsible for prioritizing work flow in the Pharmacy and coordinating training for pharmacy technician staff, students and student interns.
Utilizes pharmacy based education to assist the pharmacist in the day to day pharmacy operations.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists the pharmacist in the day to day execution of his/her duties.
2. Notifies Pharmacists of any orders which are ambiguous or
3. Process medication profiles for discharged patients.
4. Stocks patients medication drawers for delivery to Patient Care units by selecting the proper medication from Pharmacy inventory, labeling each drawer with patient name and room number, and delivery cart to Nursing units on a predetermined time schedule.
5. Orders and restocks supplies on a daily basis.
6. Restocks and maintains automated dispensing cabinets.
7. Performs monthly Patient Care units inspections and emergency, cardio-pulmonary resuscitation medication cart inspections
8. Performs monthly check of inventory for expired medications.
9 Regularly checks work of other Pharmacy Technicians and
students to verify accuracy against medication profile.
10, Calculate and prepare extemporaneous dosage forms not available from commercial sources.
11. Assembles and prepares ingredients to manufacture intravenous admixtures, small and large volume parenterals, irrigation solutions, skin tests, and other sterile dosage forms.
12. Assembles and prepares ingredients to admix Total Parental Nutrition solutions, including the aseptic transfer of Amino acids to dextrose solutions and the aseptic addition of electrolytes, trace elements, vitamins, and medications using computer aided compounders.
13. Assembles and prepares cancer chemotherapy agents including the aseptic transfer of chemotherapy agents to large volume parenterals using aseptic technique to assure sterility and negative pressure technique to assure no direct contact to technicians' hands.
14. Records all products made in the Sterile Products Room indicating drug, dose, vehicle, lot numbers, date of preparation and volume of medication added.
15. Labels all products dispensed and checks for correct patient,. dose, vehicle, etc.
16 Records all investigational drugs, doses dispensed and maintains records required by the Federal Drug Administration, JCAHO, Dept. of Public Health, etc.
17. Assists in the distribution of controlled substances and the maintenance of appropriate records.
18. Under the direct supervision of a registered pharmacist, enter medication orders to patient profiles in Meditech.
19. Answer phone inquires and under the direct supervision of a registered pharmacist will provide drug information to other health professionals.
20. Perform all duties and tasks as assigned.
EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
1. Must attend an accredited college of pharmacy.
2. Must hold a valid student intern registration in the state of Massachusetts.
3 . Ability to supervise small staff of technicians and students.
4. Strong interpersonal skills sufficient to supervise technicians and communicate with other health care personnel.
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
6. Must be attending a college grade level of year 3 or greater
7. Ability to stand and walk most of the day and to occasionally lift up
to 30 pounds.
1. Possibility of cuts from broken glass and some exposure to
The above in intended to describe the general contents and requirements of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all duties, responsibilities or skills of personnel so classified.
SRN is committed to diversity in the workplace which begins with respect and opportunity for all. SRN takes affirmative action to ensure that equal employment opportunity is provided to all persons regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age, ancestry, veteran status, disability or any other basis that would be inconsistent with any applicable ordinance or law.