Research Data Engineer (Clinical IT and Research) at Nicklaus Children's Health System
Posted in Health Care 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Miami, Florida
Provides IT support to colleagues in Research Institute and serve as liaison between IT and Research. The range of responsibilities includes, but is not limited to: databases development, implementation and administration; data quality reports; research applications development, data ontologies integration and curation.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Biomedical Informatics, Computer Science, Engineering or related field with at least 4 years of combined experience in Clinical IT and Research (or) Master's degree in Information Technology, Biomedical Informatics, Computer Science, Engineering with at least 2 years of combined experience in Clinical IT and Research
1-3 years of software development experience
1-3 years of data management in Hadoop/Hive/MapReduce environment experience
4-7 years of experience with developing database schemas, querying, managing or curating Oracle or PL/SQL or SQL Server Databases
- 1-3 years of data warehousing ETL experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- PhD degree highly preferred
- Direct experience or very strong familiarity with commercial Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software platform (e.g., Cerner)
- Experience extracting and managing data from Electronic Medical Record software (e.g., Cerner, Epic) preferred
- Understanding of Electronic Medical Record (EMR) data architecture and definitions
- Familiarity with and experience with efficient database ETL processes (extracting data from a wide range of data sources, normalizing data, creating and providing Entity-Relationship diagrams, schemas, and related documentation, creating primary and foreign keys and indexing, writing functional and technical specifications)
- Experience working in research environment
- Ability to learn and apply new technical skills quickly
- Willingness and ability to share knowledge with other team members
- Ability to adapt to changes in healthcare and research environment
- Ability to highlight and communicate data quality concerns to stakeholders in projects
Job Specific Duties
- Engages and communicates effectively with a variety of IT, research, and medical staff.
- Proactively problem solves, identifies root causes, researches best practices, and makes suggestions to team.
- Participates in research staff training to access and manage the data.
- Bridges ongoing research project needs with IT department priorities and serves as liaison between IT and Research.
- Serves as RedCAP (Research Electronic Data Capture) administrator, ensures security compliance and database backups/restoring as needed.
- Assists with SOP writing related to research databases and Honest Broker.
- Provides technical expertise at a variety of levels in healthcare and research data management.
- Designs and develops highly scalable, end to end process to consume, integrate and analyze large volume, complex data from different sources.
- Integrates datasets and flows using a variety of open source and best-in-class proprietary software.
- Performs ETL tasks from data collected in Electronic Medical Record Software (Cerner)
- Performs DBA tasks for research databases on SQL Server and Oracle database servers.
- Develop databases flexible for a range of health outcomes focused projects and bioinformatics using Hadoop or related HDFS data architectures
- Ensures Common Data Model transformations and recurring submissions to national consortiums the institution is participating in.
- Ensures databases and data extracts reflect specifications; proactively seeks specification clarification as needed to ensure data quality.
- Creates, provides, and maintains schemas and related documentation for research databases.
- Monitors server performance and ensures compliance with security.
- Ensures secure bi-directional data transfer between various applications.
- Integrates and curates data ontologies in research databases.
- Assesses the quality of data captured in electronic medical record databases and identifies inconsistencies.
- Provides data quality statistics and reports to the stakeholders.
- Modifies databases to address data quality issues when applicable.