Surface Scientist ∞ (Maplewood, MN) at 3M
Posted in Science 12 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Maplewood, Minnesota
3M is seeking a Surface Scientist for the Abrasive Systems Division (ASD) located in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Surface Scientist will be responsible for applying expertise in surface modification and characterization to industrial abrasive applications. The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional with strong capabilities in materials, surface characterization, statistics, and fracture mechanics. We’re looking for a person who is collaborative, a great communicator, has excellent judgement, and can perform in a fast-paced, growing, global division.
For additional information on how we apply surface analysis to create revolutionary products, please visit:
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Become an integral, contributing team member of the ASD Technology Platform Team
- Investigate the modification of metal and polymer surfaces during grinding and finishing operations
- Develop a fundamental understanding of the relationship between abrasive constructions and the impact they have on various material substrates
- Collaborate with Application Engineering and Quality to develop the appropriate test methods for abrading, imaging, characterizing and analyzing surfaces
- Actively partner with product commercialization teams to understand and control the finishing characteristics of new product prototypes.
- Leverage the 3M Corporate Research Laboratory (CRL) to model surface interface deformation and transfer new surface modification and characterization technology
- Apply analytical surface characterization techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, profilometry and X-ray tomography.
- Utilize good communication skills to inspire, influence, motivate, and teach other team members
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline from an accredited institution
- Combined experience with Optical Microscopy, Electron Microscopy, Profilometry, Surface Characterization and/or Digital Image Capture/Analysis in a public, private, government or military environment
- Ph.D. in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related discipline from an accredited institution
- Minimum one (1) year combined experience with Optical Microscopy, Electron Microscopy, Profilometry, Surface Characterization and/or Digital Image Capture/Analysis in a public, private, government or military environment
- Strong competency in Material Mechanical Properties, Statistics, Test Method Development and/or Imaging Systems
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
- Experience working on multifunctional teams
- Microsoft Office proficient
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic/international
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without a sponsorship for employment visa status (e.e. H1B status).
See job description.