Utility Person at Indiana American Water
Posted in Installation - Maint - Repair 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Mooresville, Indiana
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Perform general labor in the operation, maintenance and construction of structures, equipment, grounds and pumping and storage facilities. Job Responsibilities
- Operates water system (wells, chemical feed systems, storage tank levels, control systems, etc.) to provide compliance with applicable state and Federal regulations. Collects and analyzes samples required for compliance and process control.
- Maintains and calibrates hand-held and on-line monitoring equipment and treatment equipment as required.
- Follows Company’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies, and reports unsafe conditions.
- Maintains daily logs, records plant operating data as required in logs and operations software
- Effective, timely, and respectful communication and interactions with other employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations, and citizen customers.
- Assists in repairs of water main and service repairs, with other project staff and contractors.
- Performs valve maintenance and operation using associated equipment.
- Performs hydrant flushing and inspection.
- Locates underground water main and service lines and related assets.
- Collect GPS locations of all company assets.
- Perform LOS (Length of Service) replacements on all meters.
- Complete all necessary forms, sketches and field notes and be knowledgeable of using maps and records.
- Performs customer service orders and communicate with customers and other employees to satisfy customer request and inquiries.
- Responsible for shutting customers off for non-payment and reconnection once paid.
- Perform meter reading activities and investigate inaccuracies.
- Complete assigned task in multiple software packages utilized by Indiana American Water
- Position subject to 24 hour call-out and overtime.
- To perform work under a team concept in all areas of the operation as assigned by supervisor.
- Visually inspects and tests machinery and equipment.
- Listens for unusual sounds from machines or equipment to detect malfunction and discusses machine operation variations with supervisors or other maintenance workers to diagnose a problem or repair machinery.
- Installs and repairs monitoring and water quality equipment.
- Assembles, installs and maintains pipe systems and repairs and replaces gauges, valves, pressure regulators and related equipment.
- Operates, monitors, adjusts and calibrates chemical feed systems.
- Operates and monitors all treatment facilities as needed.
- Maintains written and computer records of operation and maintenance activities.
- Attends Company training or outside training classes as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must possess a valid IN drivers’ license.
- Mechanical ability sufficient to understand the operation of pumps, valves, motors and other mechanical equipment related to operations and maintenance.
- Communicate in an effective manner both oral and written with Company personnel and customers.
- Read and understand instructions, safety rules, maps, diagrams, etc.
- Skillfully use hand tools or machines needed for your work.
- Capable of lifting and/or carrying 50 lbs. on a frequent basis and up to 100 lbs. maximum. Walking up and down stairs. Ability to wear a respirator.
- Ability to operate water and wastewater testing equipment, safety equipment, retrieval equipment, gas monitoring and personal safety equipment, trucks and other mobile equipment.
- Ability to work in confined space and electrical hazard conditions. Exposure to inclement weather, mostly of short duration.
- Functional / Technical Skills
- Learning on the Fly
- Organizational Agility
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- High school graduate or state-recognized educational equivalency certificate.
- Associate of Science degree preferred.
Hours: M-F 7:30 am - 4:00 pm. Position subject to 24 hour call-out and overtime
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.
At American Water, our people are our most valuable asset. When you become part of the American Water team, you enjoy many benefits including: A values-based culture with a vision linked to our purpose. A competitive pay package with pay-for-performance opportunities. Comprehensive health and wellness benefits, including medical, dental, prescription, vision and disability insurance coverage. Flexible spending accounts for health care, child care and elder care. Employee assistance program (EAP). Options to assist employees in saving for retirement (i.e., 401K). Life insurance. Holidays, floating holidays and vacation time. Paid sick time. Discounted Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Employee discount program. Tuition reimbursement. Training and professional development opportunities. Advancement opportunities. Volunteer opportunities. Support for causes and community organizations you care about with matching gifts from our corporate foundation.
Join American Water
We Keep Life Flowing™