Mechanical Engineer IV at Flir Systems
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Wilsonville, Oregon
At FLIR, we have a simple but ambitious mission: to develop market-leading thermal and sensing technologies which enhance everyday life. From saving energy, to saving lives FLIR is making a real difference in our world.
Our products are used in a wide array of situations to rescue people in danger, detect criminals, conserve energy, navigate safely, provide security around the globe, and protect our environment.
We are looking for individuals who thrive on making an impact and want the excitement of being on a team that wins.
Responsible for mechanical design engineering of electro-optical imaging systems. Functions include machine design, optical mechanical design, analysis, validation testing, static, dynamic, thermal dynamics, and documentation of parts and sub-systems in a military qualified Optical mechanical electrical system.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures compatibility of new designs with vendor manufacturing processes (Internal and external)
- Performs component qualification.
- Organizes and plans mechanical design/drafting activities and documentation for a given engineering development project.
- Establishes and maintains department standards related to areas of expertise.
- Manages product weight and optimizes designs to meet both structural and weight requirements.
- Conducts feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs capable of conducting both vibration and thermal testing, providing complete reports of results.
- Directs support personnel in the preparation of detailed design documentation, design testing and prototype fabrication.
- Performs design, analysis and verification of complex mechanical, electro-mechanical devices or assemblies.
- Must be an experienced user of SolidWorks CAD large assembly management, PDM and FEA simulations tools to optimize designs.
- Must be proficient in Geometric Dimensioning, Tolerancing and engineering documentation practices from ASME.
- Demonstrated successful engineering design of kinematic and dynamics for optical-mechanical assemblies and mechanisms with precision mounting, adjustment, and switching of optical elements.
- Excellent understating of bearing usage, gearing, linkages, motors, sensors, mechanism tolerancing, materials, and kinematic motion for machine design.
- Advanced knowledge of mechanical engineering concepts and practices utilized in military qualified products. General working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is required.
- Working knowledge of ANSI/ASME drafting standards.
- Excellent mathematical skills.
- Excellent communication skills and must be detail oriented.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- National Instruments Data Acquisition,
- Failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA)
- Design for Manufacturing (DFM),
- Scientific writing using Introduction, Method, Results, Discussion (IMRad)
- Optical alignment devices such as autocollimators, optical and laser instrumentation.
- Interferometers to evaluate mechanical mounting effect of optical surfaces,
- Accelerometers and data acquisitions system to characterize system resonances and transfer functions,
- Other equipment such as thermal chambers, vibration tables, thermocouples, oscilloscopes, digital multimeters, etc.
Communication : direct and concise. Keeps people informed. Listens effectively to others.
Teamwork : effective at working in team situations.
Initiative/Results Orientation : originates action. Finds ways to get things done.
Quality: promotes continuous improvement. Effectively utilizes data.
Customer Responsiveness : responds well to internal or external customer needs.
Strategic Thinking : sees broader implications; judges particular events in context of whole.
Analytical Thinking : breaks down complex problems; systematically identifies causes and develop recommendations.
Calculated Risk Taking : shows willingness to take risks; calculates benefits and risks.
Dependability : counted on to follow through on commitments; at work each day and on time.
Tenacity : persistence despite setbacks.
Flexibility : adapting to situations or assignments; altering plans.
BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent in a mechanical or engineering environment or a combination of education and experience.
10 plus years of experience in an Electro-Optical engineering Design environment.
Advanced knowledge of mechanical engineering concepts and practices utilized in an electronics manufacturing environment.
Requires skill in computer aided design/drafting and familiarly with sheet metal fabrication, injection molding, material science, thermal analysis, drafting standards, product documentation and component qualification.
FLIR and all of our employees are committed to conducting business with the highest ethical standards. We require all employees to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, rules and regulatory orders. Our reputation for honesty, integrity and high ethics is as important to us as our reputation for making innovative sensing solutions.
FLIR is an equal opportunity employer.