Global Innovation Product Development Scientist at Mars Incorporated
Posted in Science 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Franklin, Tennessee
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting its Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet through its performance.
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®; Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience – COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
Position Title: Global Innovation Product Development Scientist
Reports To: R&D Manager
Family: Science & Technology
Location: Thompsons Station, TN (TNT)
Level of Role
Number of Reports
Purpose of Role
Technically lead product and recipe development for new and innovative products and for line extensions in the Petcare segment. To be center of expertise in the area and provide technical training for relevant R&D teams. Represent Mars LLC R&D in the global technical expertise for the relevant segment. Mentor and supervise R&D technologists.
- Lead the translation of consumer insights into holistic concepts (product and packaging).
- Use appropriate tools to facilitate concept and prototype evaluation (creation and presentation).
- Create and aligns product design briefs with project team (Marketing/R&D/Market Research/Commercial).
- Specify product design attributes and quality targets.
- Own product development within projects.
- Support Process Development and R&D Packaging Group.
- Contribute product design expertise to unit, regional, and global communities for the pet food segment.
- Mentors and supervises NPD technologists.
- Follow corporate labeling and claim policy.
- Accomplish the objectives agreed with the line manager and listed in Personal Development Plan.
- Develop understanding of pet food consumer insights, local market activities (Mars and competitors), and global food/pet food trends.
- Build contacts with external design agencies and institutes, equipment and raw material suppliers and apply consumer understanding techniques.
- Keep up to date on new developments in the relevant knowledge areas such as human food trends, new raw materials, and animal nutrition research.
- Create and maintain personal ties with scientific and technical communities within Mars and externally to enhance current knowledge base.
- Design, execute, analyze and review concepts with appropriate tools. Collaborate with both internal (R&D, Marketing, Operations, Engineering, Commercial) and external (Market Research Agencies, suppliers and Research Institutions) to develop products from concept to validation of final holistic product/packaging design.
- Provide recipe design and product specifications and own knowledge transfer to Quality, Site R&D, and Manufacturing.
- Act as lead product design representative for a project team. Develop, communicate agree product development plans with project team members.
- Support R&D packaging group for packaging innovation and continuous improvement activities. Provide product and ingredient expertise to new process development opportunities/needs, and support as necessary.
- Provide technical training and knowledge transfer to segment Product developers/Technologists as well as for other functional groups within R&D. Communicate latest technical developments within relevant segment to NPD, PPE and Quality groups within R&D. Be an active member of a global network or community for a relevant technical area.
- Supervise NPD Technologist in day-to-day activities, identify technical knowledge gaps and training needs, recommend/provide technical trainings to eliminate the gaps. Act as the key contact for on-boarding & induction of new NPD Technologists.
- Follow corporate guidelines for pet food labeling in developing new products and reviewing existing products. Collaborate with Marketers to create maximum value marketing language within the constraints of the guidelines.
Critical Mars Leadership Capabilities
- Delivers Consistent Results
- Creates Collaborative Relationships
- Engages Associates
Key Supporting Competencies
- Action Oriented
- Organizational Agility
- Priority Setting
- Customer Focus
- Peer Relationships
- Motivating Others
- Building Effective Teams
- Managing Vision and Purpose
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
- Food science / food chemistry
- Food safety and hygiene regulations.
- Experimental design.
- Understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices
- Product development from bench top to production.
- Coordinating and leading cross-functional activities
- Negotiation and conflict resolution
- Presentations and messaging
- Pet food technology – directly applicable technologies such as extrusion or formed meat pieces
- Pet Food / Feed industry raw materials
- Animal Nutrition
- Sensory evaluation, Consumer research, Pet food/feed Formulation
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Food Science or Food Engineering.
- Three (3) years of experience in new product and process development in food manufacturing.
- Prior experience must include statistical analysis and design of experiments, as well as knowledge of food ingredients functionality.
- Up to 50% national and international travel required.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.