Accounting Technician at United States Institute of Peace
Posted in Finance 14 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Washington, Washington DC
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front row seat to the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
We are a nonpartisan institute chartered by Congress to tackle the world’s toughest problems. Working in conflict zones around the world, our staff advise and support the military, government officials and community leaders – to promote knowledge and practices that prevent, mitigate and resolve violent conflict. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers. The Institute is headquartered in Washington DC with staff working in 22 different countries, at any given time up to 20% of the staff could be deployed working in the field.
The accounting technician is responsible for supporting the accounting team in matters related to accounting and clerical tasks for the maintenance and processing of accounts payable transactions. The incumbent must have strong technical, analytic, and organizational skills. The individual must have the capability to operationalize concepts, communicate effectively, and execute in a systematic, timely and efficient way. An appreciation for and dedication to customer service is critical.
- Prepare work to be accomplished by gathering and sorting documents and related information
- Verify transaction information’s accuracy, match invoices to purchase orders; monitoring discount opportunities; scheduling and preparing disbursements; obtaining authorization of payment; insuring credit is received for outstanding memos
- Charge expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports and recording entries
- Resolve account discrepancies by investigating documentation; issuing stop payments, payments, or adjustments
- Recommend actions to resolve discrepancies
- Daily enter invoices into the financial management system
- Reconcile processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances
- Provide accurate and effective document preparation and records management relative to the AP function in accordance with records retention policies and procedures
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Prepare bank deposits, general ledger postings and statements
- Assist with month end closing
- Provide supporting documentation for audits
- Correspond with vendors and respond to inquiries
- Protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or nationals of countries listed in a U.S. Collective Defense Arrangement per the Department of State. To see a list of those countries, go to http://www.state.gov/s/l/treaty/collectivedefense/index.htm.
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting, public administration, or management related field required
- A minimum of 1-2 years of professional experience in a related field or any combination of education and experience is required
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Experience in use of financial or accounting information systems and tools, including databases and spreadsheet applications (e.g., Momentum, QuickBooks, QuickBase, and Microsoft Excel)
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail and confidentiality
- Excellent data entry skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective verbal, listening and written communication skills
- Effective organizational, stress and time management skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently or as a team member
- Experience supporting international financial operations
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
1. Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire and salary history.
2. Cover letter
For questions about this position please email email@example.com. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
See job description