Product Design Specialist (Maplewood, MN)
Posted in Design 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Maplewood, Minnesota
3M is seeking a Product Design Specialist for the Separations and Purification Sciences Division (SPSD), located in Maplewood, Minnesota. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
3M SPSD is a leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of a comprehensive line of products for the separation, clarification, and purification of fluids and gases covering a range of markets. Products and applications specific for our Biopharmaceutical Purification business are designed to address critical needs in the processing and purification of pharmaceuticals including recombinant proteins and other pharmaceutical targets.
The person hired for the position of Product Design Specialist will work in the Biopharmaceutical Purification business to drive growth by designing innovative new products and disruptive integrated purification solutions by leveraging collaborations with customers and external industry experts. This position provides the opportunity to gain experience working with a diverse range of pharmaceutical organizations and cutting edge manufacturing systems. This person will have the opportunity to harness insights from the industry and specific customer processes and apply advanced design principles to develop high impact solutions. This person will be provided the opportunity to become a leader within the industry by engaging with industry organizations, publishing collaborative technical papers and presenting the results of innovative technical studies at international conferences. Additionally, significant experience will be gained in developing products for an evolving regulated market following medical device design and design control framework.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Individual contributor responsible for major design projects, design execution, and design process changes of complex scope.
- Core member of global cross-functional, multisite teams of marketing, product design and development, quality, regulatory, manufacturing, key account, application development, and business development leading to rapid global new product commercialization.
- Results oriented individual with strong process and execution skills, exceptional sense-of-urgency that leads with high energy, focus and passion.
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills, including capabilities to assess current situation, draw conclusions, envision future opportunities, and outline the strategy for buy-in.
- Apply product design-related knowledge to development programs, including current trends, design theories, methods, and processes. Examples of skills include, but are not limited to: concept sketching, ethnographic and user research, story board/context sketches, 2D/3D modeling and rendering, model making and rapid prototyping.
- Technical leader who sets direction and priorities with full accountability for results of a design program leveraging available 3M resources as required.
- Establishing and refining product design process, continuous improvement initiatives and influence/set design policy aligned to internal and external medical device design and control best practices.
- Research emerging and new applications for which new product design elements will result in significant market differentiation. Developing and maintaining broad industry network and leverage such to influence both internal and external strategies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline from an accredited institution
- Minimum of five (5) years (academic or industry) product design experience
- Master’s degree or higher in Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related discipline from an accredited institution
- Industrial experience in product design, design-forward product development, user experience design or related design-centric field
- Experience using Unigraphics, Pro/Engineer or SolidWorks CAD
- Experience in designing products for use in a regulated environment
- Ability to work independently to complete projects, as well as, work with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated record of invention and/or technical publication
- Pharmaceutical, biotechnology and/or bioprocessing experience
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
Location: Maplewood, Minnesota
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic and international
Relocation: Is authorized
See job description.
Signup for an account
to get information on applying for a job.