Adjunct Faculty Pool - Teacher Certification (K-5 Literacy)
Position Type: Adjunct Faculty Pool - Teacher Certification (K-5 Literacy)
Salary: $900 per load hour (most courses are 3 credit load hours)
Job List: External
Close Date: Multiple positions available - open until filled with a first review date of applications submitted by 05/05/2023 at 5:00 pm (Arizona time)
Note: Most of these positions will be online/asynchronous; however, some faculty may be asked to teach in other modalities such as online/synchronous, hybrid, or face-to-face.
About Pima Community College
At Pima Community College, we value the diversity of our workforce and seek to attract, hire, and support employees who consistently and actively embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Pima's Post-Degree Teacher Certification program seeks to expand the pool of adjunct faculty for the 2023-2024 academic year and beyond. Adjunct faculty positions in Post-Degree Teacher Certification offer flexible hours and the opportunity to teach both preservice and in-service educators.
We are specifically seeking part-time instructors who are qualified to teach courses in K-5 literacy for teachers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate courses that are already developed in an online course management system.
- Actively participate in online discussion forums with students.
- Monitor quiz statistics to identify problematic test items.
- Promptly assess student work, providing specific and actionable feedback.
- Adapt instruction based on students' needs while maintaining high expectations.
- Collect exemplary student work to use as models for future students.
- Continuously improve instruction to ensure Student Learning Outcomes are met.
- Maintain competency and currency in the teaching field.
- Participate in Professional Learning Communities.
- Follow all college policies and procedures.
- Protect intellectual property rights with respect to online course materials.
- Work collaboratively with others, utilizing a collegial style in all forms of communication.
candidate will have knowledge, skills, and abilities related to:
- 5+ years experience teaching K-5 literacy (e.g., reading specialist, special education teacher, elementary teacher; ELD teacher).
- Training in Reading Recovery, Science of Reading, LETRS, Orton-Gillingham, Wilson, or similar.
- Experience delivering professional development to teachers.
- Passing score on the AEPA 190 exam (or willingness to take the exam upon hire).
- Experience teaching college-level education or special education courses.
- Master's degree or higher in education or a related field of study; or
- Master's degree in any discipline plus 18 graduate semester hours in the field of study; or
- Terminal degree in supplemental field of study where the dissertation research is based in the primary field of study.
- Fields of study: Curriculum and instruction; education; educational leadership; educational psychology; elementary education; special education; reading, other closely related field.
Adjunct faculty on contract qualify for a tuition and fee waiver for PCC courses taken, as well as their spouse and qualifying child(ren). If a course contract is offered, benefits such as sick leave will be provided as required by law. No other College-provided benefits will be offered, such as holiday pay, annual leave, etc.
Temporary employees who work twenty (20) or more hours per week for more than nineteen (19) weeks in a fiscal year are required to participate in one of the following retirement plans: Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP).
Directions for Applying and Other Important Information
In order to be considered for this opportunity, you must include the documents that are listed within the application form as required. Follow the directions in the application form to upload your documents. At minimum, these documents are required:
Resume/CV. This should be up to date and include any gaps in employment.
Letter of Interest (not to exceed two pages). Describe your relevant knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and the strengths you would bring to the assignment.
Arizona K-12 Teaching Certificate (unofficial copy). Current or expired,Elementary or Special Education.
Graduate Degree Transcripts (unofficial copy). If selected for further consideration, official transcripts will be required.
Diversity Statement. In one page or less, please share your experience working with diverse student populations and how that informs your teaching practice and/or philosophy.
Degrees and courses qualifying for Pima Community College teaching certification must be from a regionally accredited college or university. Applicants currently in progress for a degree or additional coursework to meet the minimum qualifications must have the degree conferred and/or coursework prior to an offer to teach.
A degree from any college outside of the United States (even if the transcript is in English) may need to be evaluated by a foreign transcript evaluation service. Pima Community College requires that applicants use an evaluation agency that is a member of NACES. Before ordering an evaluation, check with the Faculty Qualifications and Hiring Office to confirm whether you will need to complete this step.
Note: Pima Community College does not sponsor any employment visas for these positions at this time.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please email email@example.com. Office hours are normally Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.