Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Location: Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Associate Director of Editorial Strategy and Editor of Bucknell Magazine
Job No: 497044
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Other, Communications / PR / Marketing
The Associate Director of Editorial Strategy is a member of the Division of Communications' content strategy team and Editor of Bucknell Magazine, reporting to the Senior Associate Director of Content Strategy (SADCS). The Associate Director is responsible for overseeing the creation, coordination and implementation of editorial content in support of the Bucknell University external communications strategy across print and digital media.
The Associate Director manages a collaborative team of three writers responsible for creating content in an array of formats, including traditional news stories and profiles, webpages, emails, blog posts and video/audio scripts, for Admissions, University Advancement, and Bucknell's external website and intranet. The Associate Director (in consultation with the SADCS) sets editorial strategy for the University; guides the editorial team in written content generation and collaboration in the production of other forms of content, including photography, social, audio, design and video; executes, in collaboration with Communications colleagues, communications strategies including email campaigns and an admissions blog and podcast; executes, in collaboration with campus partners, strategies that support Admissions, University Advancement and reputational goals; and ensures that bucknell.edu content is up-to-date, accurate, in alignment with University brand messaging and editorial style, and reflective of strategic University priorities. The Associate Director works with colleagues across the content strategy team and division to ensure University editorial content is presented in creative and visually compelling ways, and aligns with Communications' goals and strategy.
As Editor of Bucknell Magazine, the Associate Director oversees all aspects of the magazine's production from conception to publication. The award-winning, quarterly, 64-page magazine is a vital piece of the University's communications strategy, and demands a talented leader who is a skilled editor, possesses excellent grammar and has a passion for storytelling. The Editor ensures a creative and cohesive magazine that supports the University's communication, marketing and reputational strategy. The Editor works collaboratively with designers, writers and photographers (both staff and freelance) and other colleagues within the Division of Communications and across the University.
The Associate Director is a highly creative communicator with excellent written and oral communication skills, a proven collaborator who can work effectively within a complex and diverse organization, and a strategic thinker who is dedicated to staying abreast of trends in higher education. The Associate Director is experienced in news, feature and email writing, adept at developing and managing written communications about complex and sensitive topics, and committed to Bucknell's mission. The Associate Director takes effective and creative action based on data, manages multiple projects simultaneously, and has a passion for initiating ideas and developing them into successful projects. The Associate Director demonstrates experience and comfort managing a deadline-driven writing environment of multiple projects and quick turnarounds. The Associate Director works closely with University leadership, as well as faculty, staff and students campus-wide. The Associate Director shares their own perspectives, learns from the perspectives of others, and contributes to a culture of diversity and inclusiveness.
This is a year round, full time, benefits eligible position.
- Supervise, support and guide a team of direct reports in fulfilling high-level editorial, marketing and other creative content responsibilities associated with strategic communications, including Admissions and Advancement communications, and Bucknell Magazine.
- Work closely with the SADCS and Communications colleagues to align communications across delivery areas (written, visual, social, video, etc.), and guide direct reports in collaborating across content production areas.
- Execute a strategy to create modal content to effectively communicate with a variety of audiences through distinct channels to make efficient use of University resources.
- Cultivate successful relationships with deans, students, administrators, faculty and other Bucknell constituents to identify and convey powerful stories that communicate clearly, honestly and effectively the value of a Bucknell education.
- In close coordination with the SADCS, oversee management of University editorial content and presentation, ensuring that it fulfills the University's communications strategy.
- Manage updates to bucknell.edu content made by a Content Support Specialist and the proofreading/quality assurance process for web updates.
- Plan and lead the execution of strategic, authentic, compelling editorial content that highlights Bucknell's strengths, value and potential.
- Evaluate and regularly report to the SADCS the success of editorial communications using data and analytics.
- Ensure that all written communications are of the highest quality, authenticity and accuracy, reflecting the quality and value of a Bucknell education.
- Work with the Director of Marketing Strategy, SADCS and University Advancement partners to develop strategic messaging for high-level development and campaign-related projects.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
-Serve as Editor of Bucknell Magazine, responsible for the following:
-In consultation with the Vice President for Communications (VP), develop and monitor the annual budget for the magazine.
-Plan, in consultation with the SADCS and Vice President for Communications, future issues of Bucknell Magazine, including developing an editorial timeline to ensure cover and feature stories are planned sufficiently in advance for maximum strategic impact.
-Set policies and editorial direction, and methods of evaluating the publication.
-Prepare clear assignments for writers, including background information, sources and initial research materials.
-Cultivate and manage freelance writers.
-Edit all copy, write headlines, prepare cutlines, proofread and direct proofreading for each issue to assure accurate and professional content.
-Write regularly for Bucknell Magazine, including occasional cover stories.
-Collaborate with the Associate Director of Visual Strategy and the Photo Editor on conceive appropriate illustration, photography or other design elements for magazine content; help determine the overall design of the magazine to ensure a highly professional, strategic and professional aesthetic; and develop concepts for magazine-related photo shoots.
-Work with a freelancer to edit Class Notes and maintain relationships with class reporters.
-Develop positive relationships among faculty and staff, alumni, students, families and other readers to help generate story ideas for Bucknell Magazine and feedback about the publication, and meet with colleagues in University Advancement to develop magazine content.
-Oversee the production of a digital version of Bucknell Magazine in partnership with an external vendor.
-Contribute to the marketing of the magazine and use of the magazine/digital edition as a marketing vehicle for the university, including through emails, social media and campus signage.
-Perform other duties as assigned.
-Four years of professional writing and editing experience, demonstrated by a portfolio of published nonfiction work.
-Experience managing in-house and freelance staff.
-Experience collaborating with other creative professionals, such as photographers, videographers, and marketing and social media specialists.
-Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal communications, writing, grammar and editing.
-Record of success in creating persuasive messaging for specific audiences.
-Proven skills in creativity, analysis and problem-solving, and the ability to evaluate, synthesize, and incorporate ideas and feedback from multiple stakeholders.
-Superb organizational and project-management skills.
-Ability to adapt to rapidly changing communications channels and work well both independently and collaboratively.
-Commitment to diversity, inclusiveness and the sharing of perspectives across differences.
-Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations, English or a related field.
-Experience as an editor-in-chief or managing editor of a magazine.
-Experience working in higher education.
-Experience managing a budget.
Full-time, 12 month, exempt, benefits eligible position.
Please apply using our online system, and include a resume, cover letter, two published writing samples of a non-fiction work you have authored and one sample of a work you have edited.
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/497044/associate-director-of-editorial-strategy-and-editor-of-bucknell-magazine
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency