Posted in Other 6 days ago.
Location: Houston, Texas
The Home Therapy Staff Assist Registered Nurse, as qualified by federal and state regulations, provides patient treatment and ongoing support for patients choosing a staff assisted hemodialysis modality in the home. This position is accountable for providing quality care to all assigned patients and is committed to delivering superior customer service in all internal and external interactions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties and tasks may be assigned.
• Knowledge of and comply with federal, state,local laws and regulations, including health care professionals practice actrequirements as they pertain to home staff assisted hemodialysis program andpatient care requirements.
• Participate in and support corporate initiativesthat promote improved care and increase growth of the home department.
• Ensure clinic and patient supply inventory andusage is appropriate for patient prescriptions and place orders in timelymanner to avoid fees and penalties.
• Discuss dialysis options at all care planmeetings and as needed to prepare for and support patient through transition toother care methods.
• Obtain routine and non-routine laboratory testsas ordered and communicate critical lab values and urgent patient needs to theresponsible physician or physician extender in a timely manner.
• Complete and document monthly review of patientmedication profiles. Administer medications as ordered by the physician.
• Provide patient education and follow up asneeded.
• Initiate and terminate dialysis treatments onpatients with permanent fistulas, grafts or catheters. Conduct pre andpost dialysis assessments.
• Document all nursing services interactions inthe Electronic Medical Record including but not limited to routine andnon-routine in-person interactions and phone conversations. Documentationshould accurately reflect the patient status and nursing interventions and bewritten to ensure continuity of care.
• Participate in infection control monitoring,implementation, and recording as requested.
• Use personal protective equipment as required bypolicy and procedure.
• Participate in and direct emergency care asneeded to the patient.
• Coordinate home evaluation with technicalservices department to ensure that the necessary electrical, plumbing anddrainage requirements for proper equipment operation are met prior to patientacceptance into home program.
• Ensure required and appropriate water samplingis complete per policy and product requirements. Monitor and report watersample and culture results.
• Communicate on-call system to patients andensure patients have access to nursing support at all times. Teachpatients the importance of timely communication.
• Responsible for performing on call nursingservices, nights and weekends, on a rotational basis as needed or assigned.
• Communicate results of patient assessment,reassessment, and ongoing monitoring to the physician, team members, and othersas appropriate to the individual needs of the patient.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
University of Houston - Downtown