Posted in Other 7 days ago.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
part time evenings
Performs activities related to the decontamination, preparation and sterilization of surgical instrumentation and case cart assembly.
• Responsible for taking "charge" of the department in the absence of the department Manager when assigned.
• Able to prioritize all sterilization issues relevant to the O.R. schedule.
• Responsible for all QA documentation that occurs within the "charge" shift.
• Assists in the general orientation and training of all new personnel whenever applicable.
• Contributes to the new employee "documentation of orientation".
• Decontaminates, inspects, assembles, sterilizes and distributes to appropriate areas, all
surgical instrumentation, supplies, and equipment.
• Demonstrates knowledge of proper methods of surgical instrument cleaning and
• Demonstrates knowledge of proper preparation and packaging for sterilization,
using count sheets, peel pouches, tip protectors, indicator strips, and non-woven
• Demonstrates ability to assemble instrument sets, using count sheets appropriately, with no more than 3 errors noted within a 3-month period.
• Demonstrates knowledge of proper methods of sterilization relevant to each type of instrumentation.
• Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate disbursement of all sterilized instruments, supplies, and equipment.
• Notifies Supervisor, or designee, of broken/missing instruments or equipment.
• Demonstrates knowledge of case cart system priorities and policies.
• Understands daily priorities of the case cart system.
• Demonstrates knowledge of proper case cart loading, and presentation methodology.
• Demonstrates knowledge of stock par levels, and how they are maintained.
• Demonstrates proper linen inspection and folding techniques, and appropriate method of wrapping.
• Demonstrates knowledge of inventory control methods when ordering supplies for O.R. stock exchange carts. Familiar with exchange routines of carts.
• Prepares all documentation of sterilization processes according to AAMI recommendations and department QA policies and procedures.
• Demonstrates knowledge of all processes and documents all air removal and biological testing done on all in-house sterilizers.
• Assembles all supplies needed for specific assigned areas, and completes the necessary stock requisitions or documentation.
• Performs all duties in accordance with applicable health and safety rules, regulations and Standards.
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 171- bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital offers comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties.
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a designated Magnet hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, a recognition that fewer than nine percent of all US hospitals receive.
At Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, we believe that everyone should have the chance to live a healthy life. From creating breakthroughs that have paved the way for treatments around the globe to training the next generation of providers, our patients, and those we may never meet, are at the center of everything we do. Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is at its best when every employee feels equal, included, empowered and respected. When our employees feel supported our patients benefit from their transparency, creativity and innovation because we're all in this together. And together, we all thrive.
If you're looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
Maintain a current registration as a C.R.C.S.T.
Minimum of one year experience in an acute care hospital
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to an employee's protected status, such as age, race, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity or expression or sexual orientation.