Posted in Other 6 days ago.
Location: dover, New Hampshire
Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, a subsidiary of Massachusetts General Hospital, is renowned as one of the largest acute care hospitals in the Seacoast region of New Hampshire and Southern Maine. At Wentworth-Douglass, we value people who contribute to patient-centered care that enhances community health; we recognize and reward those who share our values and transform our patients' lives. We invite you to explore opportunities, cultivate community wellness and professional growth.
1. Performs proper specimen collections, from patients of all ages, by confirming patient ID, collecting specimens in proper tubes, utilizing venipuncture/capillary techniques, and accurately labeling the specimens to ensure accurate patient results.
o Compares specimen label and/or requisition to patient ID band prior to collection and properly labels specimen attaching the right label to the correct tube after collection. No more than 2 variances / year.
o Demonstrates organizational skills by reviewing the pending list and prioritizing collection requests. Ability to identify and resolve duplicate orders prior to collection.
o Demonstrates proper technique to provide standard of care. This includes selecting the appropriate equipment prior collection; i.e. tubes, supplies, verifying orders, proper patient preparation, (site selection, order of draw), proper technique and proper disposal of supplies according to facility policy.
o Demonstrates knowledge of special procedures i.e. . Lactic Acid, Legal Alcohol, genetic testing, Pathology specimen preparation and specialty lab requests etc.
o Maintains current knowledge of methods for blood, urine, stool, fluid and culture collections and explains specimen collection protocols to patients, nurses and physicians as required.
o Participates in annual skills review by reviewing age appropriate competencies and receiving an evaluation of technique by direct observation.
o Properly labels specimen, attaching the correct label to the correct tube after collection. No more than two variances/year.
o Uses handheld device on all inpatients and verbally confirms 2 patient identifiers (full name and date of birth) with all outpatients prior to collection and after collection.
o Properly documents any delays, issues or special instructions within the LIS system and/or on the specimen labels (i.e. Line draw, short draw, patient refused etc.)
o Responses to codes, timed draws and STAT's within the established time frames set by the department.
o Completes specimen collection (routine draws within 5 minutes) in a timely manner without affecting quality or integrity of the specimen.
2. Provides customer service by answering broad technical questions, and directing others to appropriate resources.
o Performs clerical duties accurately and efficiently including accurate and timely specimen accessioning utilizing appropriate resources (i.e. reference lab manual, standard operating procedures, etc.).
o Demonstrates ability to operate office equipment (copier, phone, fax, etc.)
o Demonstrates clear verbal and written communication.
o Demonstrates proper phone etiquette.
3. Manages specimen accessioning accurately and efficiently to provide quality specimens for laboratory testing.
o Receives specimens accurately in the LIS: performs Clinical Order Entry correctly, resolving compliance issues by contacting the ordering physician or by completing a problem form.
o Prioritizes Stats, Routine and blue bag specimens as they arrive in the lab and handles workload accurately and efficiently.
o Evaluates specimen for acceptability per policy (volume, labeling, proper documentation for QA)
o Handles 24 hour urine container preparation and receipt (i.e. verify collection technique, total volume, correct preservative as per facility policy)
o Completes add on requests according to facility policy.
o Performs Quality Control checks on requisitions to ensure accuracy, identifying and correcting errors in a timely manner.
o Demonstrates the proper loading and unloading of routine specimens onto the Tecan FE500 according to the department protocol. Demonstrates the ability to accurately and efficiently trouble shoot errors that occur on the Tecan.
4. Ensures accurate specimen processing to maintain specimen integrity.
o Prepares send outs according to policy to include proper packaging, contacting courier, and confirming pickups.
o Reviews send out pending reports and the reference lab exception report, resolving all outstanding issues.
o Prepares requested materials in an accurate and timely manner.
o Assists in technical areas as assigned by properly performing assigned tasks specific to the section i.e. streaking plates, recording temperatures, accessioning specimens etc.
5. Performs and reports testing and quality control procedures in an accurate manner.
o Performs testing according to department policies. Recognizes deviation from expected results and notifies a technologist.
o Make sure that test results correlate with diagnosis and each other and understand age specific normal values.
o Reviews pending reports and resolves identified problems.
o Performs and documents associated quality control and equipment procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external agencies.
o Assists the Senior Tech with correlations, precision and linearity studies.
o Completely and accurately reviews, verifies, and/or signs/dates all designated documents according to department policies and established timeframe's.
6. Performs and reports testing in a timely manner.
o Performs routine tests within established timeframes.
o Performs STAT tests as a priority in regard to routine tests.
o Completes work left from previous shift, as required.
o Assists in other departments when assigned work is complete.
Experience Minimum Required
• Previous work in a clinical laboratory environment
• Completion or enrollment in a Microbiology course in a Laboratory Medical Science program.
• 1 year experience working in clinical laboratory environment and/or 1 year within WDHS.
Education Minimum Required
• H.S. diploma or equivalent; Student in an accredited Medical Lab Scientist program
• Certified Phlebotomy technician desired
• Completed clinical rotation through area where assigned to perform testing
Special Skills Minimum Required
• Proven ability as a Phlebotomist and/or student.
• Shows initiative and assumes additional responsibilities as needed and distinguished in core competency 6.0
Special Skills Preferred/Desired
• Experience with Laboratory Information Systems.
Licensure and/or Certifications Preferred/Desired
• Phlebotomy Certification
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
• The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)