The University of Iowa Health Care, Department of Pharmaceutical Care, is seeking a full-time Pharmacy Technician, Trainee to join our team. This position is under general pharmacist supervision, coordinates and performs as necessary the technical activities of dispensing areas. Under general supervision of technician supervisor, carries out activities supportive of development, coordination, and training of assigned areas. Provides functional supervision as required.
Duties to include:
1. Fill/refill prescriptions
Read label for accuracy and correct as needed.
Label and package the correct medication.
Notate appropriate lot number and expiration for specialty drugs.
Sign appropriate drugs out of high cost and controlled substance log books.
Include appropriate ancillary materials with patient prescription orders including but not limited to supplies needed in order to administer drug, supplies needed to dispose of administration materials, Specialty Pharmacy Welcome Materials, Proof of Delivery documentation, etc.
Coordinate services from other UIHC Ambulatory Care Pharmacies including but not limited to services such as adherence packaging and Clinical Cancer Center medications.
2. Work closely with Specialty Pharmacy staff (Prior Authorization and Patient Management Teams) along with interdisciplinary staff to accurately fulfill patient orders with a high level of attention to detail and focus on superior customer service
Locate over the counter medications to include in patient orders.
Locate ancillary products to include in patient orders.
Properly process patient orders through pharmacy cash register system according to required and often times complex billing requirements (copay assistance, grants, medically billed, etc.)
3. Prepare prescriptions for mailing and shipping according to established policies and procedures
Generate appropriate shipping labels according to the desired shipping method.
Properly package refrigerated items according to cold chain shipping requirements.
4. Assist with the receipt and stocking of daily drug orders to appropriate areas in the pharmacy.
5. Utilize and maintain the ScriptPro Robot
Map brand changes/assign drugs to cells
Return unwanted prescriptions to cells
6. Answer internal phone lines to assist other hospital staff with various requests
Assist with transferring of drug to/from other in house pharmacies.
Other requests as needed and appropriate.
7. Perform daily rounds to other Ambulatory Care Pharmacies and Pharmacy Storeroom.
Coordinate patient pickups.
Pick up drop ship items and supplies as needed.
8. Perform inventory maintenance activities.
Return to stock medications that have not been picked up by patients.
Monitor/order prescription filling and shipping supplies.
Perform daily and monthly drug inventories as requested
9. Generate and/or maintain (includes filing) appropriate records related to prescription dispensing such as hard copies of prescriptions, hemophiliac patient profiles, mailing/shipping forms/logs, and prescription quality assurance audits.
10. Perform activities involving narcotics and controlled substances including:
Conduct weekly and monthly inventories
Order replacement supplies from internal source
Audit records associated with dispensing of narcotics and controlled substances
Resolve discrepancies on issuance forms
11. Conduct assigned audits in patient care clinic areas (Certified Technicians Only)
Audit area for compliance with medication security, segregation of dosage forms, expiration dates, approved samples, Emergency Medication Tray expiration date, appropriate drug storage and references.
12. Participate in regular team meetings and Specialty Pharmacy Quality Committee in order to provide regular feedback on processes and procedures.
13. Maintain area orderliness and cleanliness.
14. Assist in on the job training of new technicians.
15. Coordinate technical activities with other members of team.
16. Assist with other Specialty Pharmacy Team duties as workload allows.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics-recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States-is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.®
Percent of Time: 100%
Schedule: Work 8 hour shifts between the hours of 7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Location: Ambulatory Care, Specialty Pharmacy
Rotations: Work up to every other weekend with variable days off
Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
High school graduation including a general mathematics course, or the equivalent.
Effective July 1, 2021, all pharmacy technicians must register with the Board of Pharmacy prior to commencement of employment in an Iowa pharmacy.
Effective July 1, 2009, a Pharmacy Technician (Trainee) must be registered with the Pharmacy Board. All pharmacy technicians must be certified within one year of employment. If certification is not achieved by the end of one year of employment, individuals will be terminated. (Per Board of Pharmacy Administrative Rules (Iowa Administrative Code 657, Chapter 3, Pharmacy Technicians)
Two years' experience in a position directly related to natural sciences, or
Two years post high school education in the natural sciences or related area, or
A combination of related experience and related post high school education to equal two years.
Ability to perform ratio/proportion equations,
Experience with inventory maintenance activities,
Experience working in team environment,
Experience working in detail-oriented work environment,
Knowledge of windows based computer programs,
Experience working in environment requiring accuracy,
Experience working in healthcare with one-on-one patient interaction & experience handling challenging interactions in work environment.
Prefer National Career Readiness Certificate at Silver Level.
Application Process: Resume preferred as part of the application process.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM of the closing end date.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.