Posted in Other 2 days ago.
Location: Princeton, New Jersey
The Otsuka US Legal Team is looking for an experienced patent attorney or patent agent who can be successful within our ethical, fast-paced, adaptive and collaborative culture. This position is located in either Princeton, NJ or Rockville, MD.
The patent attorney or patent agent will bring a foundational understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and the intellectual property framework of the industry. Having applicable experience, the incumbent will assist in developing, implementing and executing IP strategies in order to provide a solid legal position while enabling the business objectives.
The patent attorney or patent agent will report to senior attorneys in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in Legal Affairs. Key responsibilities will include identifying and capturing innovation in all phases of R&D activities of pharmaceutical business and communicating IP guidance and risks to business teams. In addition, this role will oversee the filing, prosecution, and maintenance of patents. There will also be opportunities to work on business development deals.
· Build and manage patent portfolios by identifying inventions and preparing, prosecuting,
maintaining and defending patents, especially inventions arising in clinical developments.
Effectively managing outside counsel as needed to support this work.
· Evaluate and monitor patent portfolios of third parties to ensure freedom to operate,
· Support intellectual property-related transactional work, including IP due diligence in in-licensing
· Provide IP and technical analysis in support of patent litigations.
· Attend and participate in Legal Department, R&D, and business meetings related to such activities.
· Work collaboratively with colleagues and leadership in the legal and IP function as well as the
Clinical Development and Medical Affairs departments.
· Substantial interactions with IP function of headquarters in Japan.
· Perform other legal, administrative and corporate duties upon request.
· Legal: Take responsibility for managing and delivering a designated legal case work program.
· Solutions Analysis: Interpret data and identify possible answers. Involves navigating a wide variety of processes, procedures and precedents.
· Policies and Procedures Development: Develop, test, and maintain procedures and guidelines to · support the organization in the implementation of, and compliance with, internal policies and/or external regulations.
· Internal Client Relationship Management: Contribute to the management of partnering relationships with internal clients, building effective working relationships and providing high-quality professional services to support in delivering business strategy and plans.
· Recommendations: Advise managers how to apply a wide variety of existing procedures and precedents.
· Information and Business Advice: Resolve queries from internal or external customers or · suppliers by providing information on policies and/or procedures, referring complex issues to others.
· Research: Achieve specific goals for a designated part of a research program.
· Risk Scenario Modeling: Analyze and assess the risks associated with products/individual applications/new business areas/the market to quantify risk and ensure it is within the agreed risk appetite.
· Decision Quality: Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
· Ensures Accountability: Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
· Communicates Effectively: Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear
understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
· Collaborates: Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
· Persuades: Uses compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
· Optimizes Work Processes: Knows the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with
a focus on continuous improvement.
· Plans and Aligns: Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
· Customer Focus: Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
· Business Insight: Applies knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's
· Planning and Organizing: Works with guidance (but not constant supervision) to plan, organize,
prioritize and oversee activities to efficiently meet business objectives.
· Policy and procedures: Works under supervision at an elementary level to interpret and apply knowledge of laws, regulations and policies in area of expertise.
· Analyze Alternatives and Recommend Solutions: Works at a basic level to analyze potential solutions and create recommendations based on the expected benefits, costs, and overall value of the solution for key stakeholders.
· Legal Communication: Works with guidance (but not constant supervision) to communicate effectively on legal matters.
· Legal Research: Works with guidance (but not constant supervision) on researching and applying legal concepts and information.
· Effectively Presents Solutions: Works with guidance (but not constant supervision) to clearly present solutions that link directly to the key objectives and challenges important to the client.
· Project Management: Works with guidance (but not constant supervision) to manage projects and/or programs within desired cost, time and quality parameters.
Education / Experience
· Master's Degree in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or related discipline required, PhD preferred
· JD (patent attorney) EXPERIENCE:
· USPTO Registration Number required
· Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience as a patent attorney or patent agent in the pharmaceutical industry or at a firm advising pharmaceutical clients
· Experience & demonstrated ability to collaborate, build and sustain effective partnerships with multicultural key stakeholders and project teams
Up to 25% travel is required based upon business needs.
Come discover more about Otsuka and our benefit offerings; https://www.otsuka-us.com/careers-join-otsuka.
Disclaimer: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.
Statement Regarding Job Recruiting Fraud Scams
Job postings, job offers, or introductions to enter into a business relationship with Otsuka through a third-party vendor may be unauthorized. Avoid being the subject of a scam by dealing only directly with Otsuka through its official Otsuka Career website https://vhr-otsuka.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External . Any authorized third-party vendor job boards should redirect any inquiry to this Otsuka Career website.
Montrose Environmental Group Inc.
Montrose Environmental Group Inc.