Posted in Other 6 days ago.
Location: Fillmore, New York
The Engineer - Electric Distribution Engineering position reports to the Supervisor - Electric Engineering for the Electric Engineering department within Rochester Gas and Electric (RG&E) and New York State Electric and Gas (NYSEG). Responsible for providing engineering expertise to region, service centers, and other Company personnel for the planning, design, operation and maintenance of the Distribution System. Under limited supervision, prepare specifications, perform engineering analyses, prepare construction standards, evaluate materials, and determine solutions affecting the electric distribution system to properly serve new loads. Assist in ensuring efficient, reliable and safe operation of the distribution system, and resolve technical issues affecting the distribution system. Design various
electrical systems of moderate size and complexity. Apply applicable codes & standards to insure compliance with regulatory requirements. Follow National Electric Safety Code standards.
1. Plan and design services to commercial/industrial/municipal customers, system improvements, and highway relocation projects. Provide fuse-recloser coordination service including the review and updating of coordination schemes. Prepare detailed budgetary estimates and analyze them (25%).
2. Complete analysis of distribution system reliability studies, circuit performance, contingency plans; review capital budget project proposals and determines corrective actions when applicable (15%).
3. Perform the acquisition, verification, and compilation of data, which may include field investigations and/or audits to support studies, reports, drawings, designs, company policies, procedures, and regulatory requirements (10%).
4. Work as required on projects of moderate size and complexity. Serve as project coordinator. Specify technical aspects of contracts, bid evaluation, recommendation of contractors, and administration of
contract terms and conditions. Specify, inspect, and approve equipment and materials. Evaluate and approve contractor invoices. Monitor construction work to ensure conformance with plans and specifications and engineering codes and practices. Monitor construction schedules to ensure timely completion of work (25%).
5. Provide interpretation of Company policy for internal and external customer groups and regulators on distribution related issues. Assist customer service groups on power quality issues including investigation, analysis and mitigation (5%).
6. Perform economic analyses of engineering alternatives for projects as necessary (5%).
7. Perform flicker analysis for large customer motors. Analyze the impact of customer-interconnected distributed generation (5%).
8. Plan, design, organize, coordinate, and control aspects of the project by providing liaison with other sections, departments, divisions, vendors or consultants, and coordinate with government
agencies, customers, or other utilities regarding matters of circuit design and maintenance (10%).
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
• Bachelors degree with a minimum of 3 years relevant experience required.
• Knowledge of distribution design. Familiarity with accounting requirements in electrical, construction, and equipment's installation preferred.
• Completion of Engineering-in-Training desired (EIT) (where applicable). Professional Engineer license is preferred (may be required in certain capacities where applicable).
• Valid driver's license is required.
• Proactive and results oriented.
• Effective leadership skills.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.