Posted in Other 12 days ago.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Reporting to the Unit Operations Manager and the Technical Manager, the C.T. Technologist prepares, sets up and operates the CT Scanners following specific physician orders. Produces detailed computer generated scans of patient's head/body for diagnostic and interventional information. Performs a variety of patient care tasks; assists patients onto scanner, verifies identification prior to scan, enters patient information into system from requisitions and ensures files are archived onto local media and networked to RELAY/PACS and completed properly in RIS. Maintains facilities in proper order. Must keep abreast of all new procedures/policies within the CT Dept.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Conducts computer system warm up and fast calibration and Quality Control procedures according to operating procedures established by manufacture's guidelines in order to ensure effective, calibrated and safe operation. Informs appropriate personnel when problem in equipment exits, calls service engineers when repair is indicated.
Acknowledges inpatient units request of patient's CT scan; coordinates patients' exam screening with the nurse to ensure the proper IV is placed, oral contrast given when needed, and obtains any information to ensure a safe quality exam. Arranges for transport service for patients move from unit to CT scan area and return escort trip.
Confirms exam requisition orders and consults with Radiologist for detailed protocols per patient exam indication. Properly identifies and escorts patient to CT scanner; assists patient onto scanner; reviews exam screening questionnaire; ensures lab values are within protocol, completes the Good to Go form, checks for proper IV placement and patency when indicated, positions patient for study, explains procedure, ability to answer questions.
The technologist follows exam protocol to match each patient's age, disease and body habitus. Enters pertinent information relating to patient and scan specifics into computer, directs specific operation of scan during procedure. Sets up necessary supplies/equipment for administration and delivery of I.V. solution and contrast agents as per departmental policy. Adheres to proper hand hygiene requirements. Monitors patient condition during and immediately post scan ability to identify complications. Performs quality CT Scans for Radiologist review and interpretation.
Assists patient off scanner and arranges transport when necessary. Networks exam data to the Relay and segments exam when necessary, completes exam in the RIS, transmits images to PACS. Completes appropriate notes in patient charts and RIS. Confirms images are in PACS correctly.
Demonstrates professionalism towards patients and their families as well as fellow employees at all times.
Maintains patient's dignity and upholds patient's rights and confidentiality consistently.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
• Knowledge of anatomy, cross-sectional anatomy, physiology, medical terminology.
• Knowledge of the principles of radiation physics
• Knowledge of radiographic positioning and radiographic equipment.
• Acquires and maintains knowledge of related topics to include, but not limited to radiation safety, universal precaution, disposal of contaminated material, proper handling of requisitions (both before and after procedure), interpersonal skills, communications and dealing with difficult situations, etc.
• Effective interpersonal and communications skills both verbal and written.
• Maintains inventory of exam room, maintains a clean and safe working environment.
• Physical ability to assist patients for transfer from stretcher, wheelchair or in an emergent situation.
• Computer skills for affective patient care and communication
• Ability to provide compassionate care to patients and family
• Ability to recognize emergency situations and respond appropriately, location of emergency code procedures and equipment.
• Must be able to read and write English.
• Must possess the ability to assess patient specific data relative to age-specific needs and provide appropriate care.
• Maintains a high standard of professionalism at all times.
• Radiography CT license in the state of MA