Posted in General Business 19 days ago.
Location: Alameda, California
Every Exelixis employee is united in an ambitious cause: to launch innovative medicines that give patients and their families hope for the future. In this pursuit, we know our employees are our most valuable asset. After operating in the challenging biotech sector for 25 years, we have a proven track record of resiliency in the face of adversity. The success of our lead product has provided a solid commercial foundation allowing us to reinvigorate our research efforts, and grow our team in areas such as Drug Discovery, Clinical Development and Commercial.
As we expand our global partnerships and further reinvest in R&D to help us discover the next breakthrough for difficult-to-treat cancers, we're seeking to add talented, dedicated employees to power our mission.
Cancer is our cause. Make it yours, too.
The Senior Manager, Payroll will analyze, audit, reconcile and resolve complex payroll processing and employee payroll issues for a publicly traded company to ensure smooth payroll processing. This position ensures payroll reporting and payments are compliant with company policy, generally accepted accounting principles, SOX, and federal, state and IRS regulations. This position will also research and interpret federal and state regulatory requirements and resolve tax, withholding, garnishment, and wage/hour issues for payroll processing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Audits bi-weekly payrolls under strict SOX narrative controls to ensure proper review and sign-off of
• Assists in hiring and development of Payroll Staff.
• Resolves pay issues by working with employees, supervisors and Human Resources.
• Investigates and resolves errors in payroll data processing by coordinating with ADP/HR.
• Recommends changes in methods and procedures to improve the efficiency of the payroll function.
• Maintains knowledge of the company policies and procedures relating to payroll.
• Keeps current of changes in laws, regulations, and rates which impact the payroll area.
• Assists with SAP testing of configuration changes, support pack upgrades, and coordinates with IT as necessary.
• Assists with multi-state payroll tax coordination and reconciliation with third party tax provider.
• Coordinates and reviews monthly payroll general ledger postings.
• Reviews account reconciliations for payroll related accounts including wages, benefits and stock related compensation.
• Coordinates with Stock Admin for all stock transactions (NQ, ISO, RSU, PSU) off cycle payroll runs.
• Manages R&D Logic project tracking and reporting software.
• Oversees quarterly/annual bonus payrolls.
• Coordinates year-end validation of data related to W2 processing.
• Participates in the external audit process and SOX testing.
• Works on special projects, as requested.
• Directly supervises employee(s).
• BS/BA degree in related discipline and eight years of related experience; or,
• MS/MA degree in related discipline and six years of related experience; or,
• Equivalent combination of education and experience.
• May require certification in assigned area.
• Typically requires a minimum of ten years of related experience and/or combination of experience and education/training
• Performs a variety of complicated tasks with a wide degree of creativity and latitude.
• May lead or supervise the work of others by providing direction to subordinates or teams based on general policies and management guidance.
• Determines methods and procedures on new assignments.
• Has wide-ranging experience in area of specialization.
• Has complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, concepts and techniques.
• Has good general knowledge of other related disciplines.
• Applies strong analytical and business communication skills.
• Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
• Uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
• Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
• Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise.