Posted in General Business 12 days ago.
Location: Houston, Texas
Reviews, determines accuracy of and applies the correct coding conventions to patient charge encounters, procedural and surgical services, as defined through physician documentation, regulatory agencies and various third-party payers. Provides departmental oversight and specialty-specific education related to physician coding/compliance, non-physician practitioner coding/compliance and appropriate coding conventions for individual staff members and collective groups within the department.
Location: Harris County Psychiatric Center
Dept.: HCPC Medical Records
Position Key Accountabilities:
1. Provides supervision for assigned staff within the department.
2. Acts as first-line liaison on behalf of Billing Compliance Coordination Department, as directed.
3. Oversight of personnel performing routine correct coding applications utilizing ICD-9-CM, CPT-4, and HCPCS codes required for the patient charge encounters when reviewing physician generated codes, ensuring compliance with regulatory agencies, correct coding initiatives and regulatory guidelines for clinical documentation.
4. Identifies and reports correct code selection from physician documentation, to include, but not be limited to; chart notes, abstracting from medical records documentation, medical diagnostic and/or interventional reports, ensuring compliant coding selections are reported, as needed.
5. Provides periodic assessment and audit to insure quality assurance is provided to assigned department.
6. Reviews and reports all denials related to coding, by report, assigning and indicating reason codes for coding denials.
7. Assists in the development and delivery of appropriate specialty specific coding education for providers within their respective departments.
8. Identifies provider specific educational needs relative to professional coding and documentation.
9. Reviews and updates charge encounter forms, rounding slips and documentation templates, assessing for compliance and completeness.
10. Attends and participates in all coding related educational activities, as directed by the Department of Billing and Compliance Coordination and disseminates applicable information to departmental physicians/residents, and staff.
11. Act as a resource in the clinic setting for providers, practitioners and staff for queries related to coding convention and compliance questions.
12. Liaison with outsourced account managers as related to coding endeavors within their departments.
13. Other duties as assigned.
* Certified Professional Coder (CPC) by the American Academy of Professional Coders or
* Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P) by the American Health Information Management Association or
* Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)/ Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) by the American Health Information Management Association.
*Must complete certification within 12 months of employment at UTHSC-H. Monitoring of certification is department's responsibility
High School diploma or equivalent.
Five years of related experience.
May substitute required experience with equivalent years of education beyond the minimum education requirement.
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds frequently and/or a negligible amount constantly to move objects.
This job class may contain positions that are security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code § 51.215