Posted in Other 16 days ago.
Location: Westborough, Massachusetts
The Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Astellas Pharma and focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. Astellas is an R&D-driven global pharmaceutical company whose philosophy is to contribute to the improvement of people's heath around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
AIRM has a world-class R&D team, and is pursuing a diverse range of disease indications, ranging from macular degeneration (currently in clinical trials) and other ocular indications to vascular and autoimmune disease. AIRM's intellectual property portfolio includes pluripotent stem cell platforms -- both embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells as well as other cell based therapy research programs. AIRM is headquartered in Marlborough, Massachusetts.
Astellas is announcing a Scientist II/Sr. Scientist, Translational Development opportunity at their Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) site in Westborough, MA.
We are seeking a Scientist II/ Sr. Scientist, Translational Science and Development who will help to advance development of cell therapy products at AIRM.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
* Involved in developing and optimizing procedures required for new product purification, characterization, process optimization
* Contributes to translational development of cell therapy products
* Contributes to setting up product specifications in collaboration with relevant groups in Technical Operations
* Designs and implements experiments, analyzes data, draws conclusions, makes suggestions based on results of experiments
* Writes study plans and technical reports
* May contribute to writing documents for Regulatory submission
* Demonstrates expert knowledge of cell biology principles and technical proficiency in research methods
* Stays current with scientific literature to proactively identify new objectives and approaches
* Uses professional concepts and company policies and procedures to solve a wide range of difficult problems in imaginative and practical ways
* May contribute to writing scientific papers
* May contribute to preparation of documentation required for regulatory filings
* May contribute to writing SOPs
* Maintains accurate records as notebook/batch record/electronic entries in compliance with the Company policy
* Efficiently collaborates with other groups inside and outside of Technical Operations as needed
* May participate in the development of patent applications
* Serves as in-house consultant on scientific and technical issues
* Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, efficient collaboration with others and independent thought
* Communicates effectively with manager, group members and other team members
* Carries out work in compliance with Astellas Health and Safety policies
* Ensures data are of high quality and the projects are on time and within budget
* May manage one or more employees and take part in their annual goal writing and performance appraisal ensuring that employee development objectives are met
* BS, MS or Ph.D. degree in cell/molecular biology, or related scientific field with relevant laboratory experience of 12+ years for BS, 8+ years for MS, or 5+ years for PhD in a biotechnology, cell therapy or pharmaceutical industry, or stem cell research field.
* Solid knowledge of cell biology including signaling pathways and cell cycle
* Knowledge of cell stress response, Inflammation signaling and apoptosis
* Solid working knowledge of research methods in cell and molecular biology including proficiency in cell culture
* Working knowledge of routine and semi-routine laboratory procedures (QPCR, FACS, immunodetection, microscopy)
* proficiency in one or more of new high throughput platforms
* Familiarity with queries on large biological datasets
* Knowledge of applicable laboratory equipment including automation
* Demonstrated ability to independently design research strategy and effectively implement experiments in a timely manner
* Ability to analyze data, draw conclusions, make scientific recommendations and troubleshoot
* Proficiency in writing technical and scientific reports, scientific manuscripts, preparing presentations
* Ability to work flexible hours and weekends/holidays
* Efficiency at managing multiple projects while working under tight timelines
* Flexibility and willingness to tackle new challenges outside of their comfort zone
* Excellent communication skills
* Result-oriented, self-starter, team player
* Experience with pluripotent stem cells and their differentiation
* experience with different types of mammalian cell lines and primary cells
* Working knowledge of high throughput technologies such as single cell sequencing or Nanostring
* Working knowledge of gene editing
* Experience in Biomarker Discovery workflow
* Familiarity with GLP/GMP environment and ability to work under SOPs
* Experience with assay development and SOP writing
* Experience with technology transfer and training others
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled