Posted in Other 8 days ago.
Location: Hartford, Connecticut
Transfer Coordinator - Nurse (per diem)
Education and Experience
Must possess a degree or diploma from an accredited nursing program for registered nurses.
* BSN Preferred.
* Minimum of one year (1) experience in pediatric emergency department, preferred
* One-year work experience as full time nurse, preferred
* Basic Medical terminology, mathematics and measurements
* Basic understanding of organizations environment of care and infection control policies and procedures
* Basic understanding of reasons for and techniques for managing aggressive behavior.
* Understand and follow Connecticut Children's policies and procedures.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and communication required.
* Demonstration of effective listening skills
* Effective oral and written communication skills required. Ability to communicate in English is required (bilingual competency, Spanish preferred)
* Demonstrates competency in standard clinical procedures as well as unit specific patient management protocols.
* Maintain quality, safety and infection control standards. Learn and follow established protocols to respond in emergency situations. Learn and demonstrate competency in basic data entry, use of collaborative care and safety plans and documentation in the medical record.
* Work across all levels of the organization effectively
Licenses and Certifications
LICENSE and/or CERTIFICATION REQUIRED
* Current State of Connecticut Registered Nurse licensure required and maintained thereafter
* CPR, American Heart Association, required upon hire and must remain current at all times
Projected Schedule (not guaranteed)
Weekends, Evenings, Overnight as needed
The transfer coordinator facilitates transfer requests from outside hospitals and referring physicians. The transfer coordinator serves as a member of an interdisciplinary, self-managed work team using a holistic, caring approach to patient care They work closely with administrators, clinical bed managers, attending physicians, inpatient bed resources and referring physicians to expedite transfer admissions and direct admissions to hospitals throughout the Connecticut children's Medical Center network. They provide the framework, coordination, and direction for the monitoring of transfers and direct admissions. In addition, they are responsible for improving the quality and efficiency of the transfer process. They must have the ability to recognize problems and work with different teams throughout the hospital to solve those problems in order to improve internal and external physician satisfaction. Additionally, this person should have expertise to provide patient triage and connect referring physicians with the appropriate attending physician for phone consults. This person should have a calm demeanor during stressful situations to successfully facilitate the transfer of children to their proper care location.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Obtain comprehensive medical history and accurate patient demographics from referring physicians and outside hospitals.
* Develops effective relationships with all nursing unit clinical and support staff to facilitate communication and enhance patient flow/bed placement
* Documents all bed activity to assist in the compilation of the midnight census for distribution within the hospital to support efficient patient transfer/transport.
* Maintains strong working knowledge of all applicable computer systems that will affect and support bed placement activities.
* Participates in designated work groups to improve communication with various stakeholders throughout the system.
* Facilitates the acceptance and the coordination of telemedicine requests
* Provide patient triage to facilitate efficient and effective transfer and transport to the neonatal intensive care unit, pediatric intensive care unit and/or the emergency department
* Accept referring physician requests to speak to specialists who would like to speak to receive a consultation over the phone.
Emergency Department Operations & Environment:
* Accurately documents all interventions and patient data in the patient record.
* Demonstrates basic data entry and data retrieval competency in electronic patient records and/or patient supply systems utilized on unit.
* Maintains appropriate inventories of unit supplies in patient rooms/bedside stands; and in treatment, utility, medication and linen rooms.
* Cleans, maintains and inventories unit equipment
* Performs quality control checks on equipment or supplies as directed by the RN.
* Utilizes all equipment appropriately, and notifies appropriate team members of equipment or facility breakdown or damage. Assist with miscellaneous tasks, and transportation of medication (including controlled substances) blood, equipment and supplies, as directed by the RN.
* Assist with routine clerical tasks
* Works under the scope and direction of the operational medical director, utilizing advanced skills with demonstrated competency when in the role of Transport Paramedic or Transport Nurse
* Establishes effective relationships with patients, families, staff and external customers/ consultants to the team.
* Demonstrates support for the mission, values and goals of the organization through behaviors that are consistent with CCMC STANDARDS
* Is accountable for departmental and hospital quality and safety initiatives and goals.
Acts as a member of the care team and receives delegated assignments from the registered nurse -- Emergency Department or Transport. Works under the license of Operational Medical Director when in transport.