Posted in Other 25 days ago.
Location: Chicago, Illinois
CNA is one of the premier providers of professional liability insurance. We currently have an opening for a claim professional to handle Architect, Engineer, Contractor and Construction Design Liability claims. Our preferred locations are our downtown Chicago, or our suburban Lisle offices. Other locations, however, will be considered. The qualified candidate will have three plus years of experience working for an insurance carrier or a defense firm handling construction liability and/or professional liability claims. These claims can be highly complex in nature, and can be valued in the multi-million dollar range. Insurance litigation and coverage interpretation/analysis experience strongly desired. We seek an individual who has attended mediations and negotiated settlements involving insurance claims. The average caseload for this claim professional will be approximately 140 files.
Professional liability Claims Consultant position dedicated exclusively to the handling of claims against construction design professionals including Architects, Engineers, Surveyors, Construction Managers, and Contractors. New assignments require significant investigation and coordination due to their technical complexity. Utilizing corporate Claim policies and departmental guidelines, the claims consultant reviews coverage, secures and analyzes information in order to determine liability and substantiate damages, directs and controls litigation, and ultimately negotiates and settles claims.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Manages highly complex investigations of claims, including coverage issues, liability, compensability and damages. Determines if a major claim should be settled or litigated and implements an appropriate resolution strategy accordingly. Effectively manages loss costs and claim expenses.
2. Manages all types of investigative activity or litigation on major claims, including the posting of appropriate reserves in a timely manner. Coordinates discovery and litigation strategy with staff counsel or panel attorneys.
3. Negotiates highly complex settlement packages, and authorizes payment within scope of authority, settling claims in most cost effective manner and ensuring timely issuance of disbursements.
4. Coordinates third party recovery with subrogation/salvage unit.
5. Makes recommendations on claims processes and resolution strategies to management.
6. Analyzes claims activities; prepares and presents reports to management and other internal business partners and clients.
7. Works with attorneys, account representatives, agents, doctors and insureds regarding the handling and/or disposition of highly complex claims.
8. Keeps current on state/territory regulations and issues, industry activity and trends. May participate in industry trade groups.
9. Provides guidance and assistance to less experienced claims staff and other functional areas.
10. Responsible for input of data that accurately reflects claim circumstances and other information important to our business outcomes.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Manager or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
Education & Experience