Posted in Other 12 days ago.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Must possess the ability to work independently, under general supervision, while executing protocols involved in the isolation and characterization of host interactions with the unique antigen determinants of microbial carbohydrates. This will include the ability to characterize the distinct carbohydrate capsules and coverings of unique microbes. This will also include the development of databases and analyses tools to integrate isolates in a meaningful manner. This individual will need to be able to investigate and implement new culture techniques as needed, implement and validate new microbial arrays, examine serological binding to existing and newly developed arrays and use this information to define key components of host-microbial interactions. The ability to maintain and use a microarray printer is also important. This individual will need to possess the ability to calculate, transcribe, and analyze data using statistical techniques. May be responsible for orienting and training new staff.
1. Possess the ability to work independently developing and implementing protocols designed to grow a wide variety of microbes for the purpose of microarray expansion and development.
2. Use array software to initially acquire and then calculate, transcribe and analyze microarray data using advanced statistical techniques. Develop programs capable of analyzing large data sets derived from microarray platforms.
3. Performs literature searches and helps to prepare presentations and written articles for publication.
4. In collaboration with PI or Research Manager, establishes new and modifies existing research techniques.
5. Coordinates schedule of tests and procedures.
6. Coordinates lab activities such as infection control, radiation safety, and bio-safety activities.
7. Assists in the orientation and training of new staff.
8. All other duties as assigned.
BS in biological/physical science required.
Must have at least one year experience in a directly related research setting.
• Sound analytical and organizational skills
• High degree of computer literacy.
• Requires good oral and written communication skills
• Must be able to logically and effectively structure tasks and set priorities.
• Ability to identify potential problems and trouble-shoot solutions.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze data statistically and to logically present it.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.