Responsiblefor the smooth operation of all functional areas of Central ProcessingDepartment. This includes setting workassignments, quality and infection control, interpretation of procedures,disciplining and counseling of employees, and inventory control of allprocessed supplies.
1. Interview potentialapplicants; present recommendations for hire to Operations Manager.
2. Counsel, discipline,and evaluate job performance of technical staff.
3. Make out monthly timeschedule and daily assignments for technical staff.
4. Direct weekly staffmeetings and participate in weekly management meetings.
5. Coordinate theorientation program with the CPD Trainer of new employees and participate inthe continuing education program for the department.
6. Monitor in serviceprogram; take attendance, participate in question and answer period, etc.
7. Document qualitycontrol on various areas of the department. Maintain quality control records.
8. Maintain staff absenteerecords.
9. Oversee routinemaintenance and operation of sterilization equipment.
10. Utilize computer to select appropriate printoutfor surgical procedures; sound judgment in selecting correct procedure iscrucial.
11. Interact with the Housekeeping Department toensure the smooth function of housekeeping responsibilities to CPD.
12. Monitor Case cart, OR rotation program, i.e.accompanies technician to OR.
13. Work on special projects as assigned byDirector/Operations Manager, i.e. cost comparison studies, and adjustment ofinventory par levels.
14. Requisition daily supplies.
15. Responsible for writing reports of shiftactivity to ensure smooth flow of information.
Perform the duties of a Processing Technician as required, i.e. picking Case Carts, cleaning soiled instruments, wrapping, dating, and sterilizing equipment.
Monitor departmental communication book, i.e. documents changes in daily procedures.
Interact with nursing personnel, and unit coordinators regarding availability and procurement of supplies and instrumentation.
Participates as assigned in Hospital Education and Training Program.
Works within hospital and department policies relating to hospital safety and infection control.
Generates instrument priority list from prepared OR schedule for following Day Surgery.
High School graduate or GED.
Central Processing CertificationRequired
Registration or certification insurgical instrumentation or Central Processing.
At least two years' experience in anOperating Room or Central Supply with demonstrated leadership ability.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to think quickly and usesound judgment.
Strong interpersonal relationskills.
Ability to work well under extremepressure and stress.
Ability to delegateresponsibility. Ability to establish jobpriorities.
Knowledge of sterilizationtechniques and procedures. Knowledge of inventory systems and storeroomprocedures.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/JOB CONDITIONS
Thejob involves a large amount of walking and standing. It also involves routine lifting of objectsweighing up to 25 pounds. The jobinvolves routine contact with caustic materials used in cleaning anddisinfection of infectious materials, pressured steam equipment, and EthyleneOxide, which is regulated by the EPA.
Thereis a high level of noise, heat, and humidity due to the sterilization process.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.