Posted in Other 11 days ago.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Functioning under the direction of the principal investigators and other faculty members, the Research Specialist works independently to conduct high level, complex research study design and analysis in the areas of pharmacoepidemiology, epidemiology/biostatistics, and analytic methods. Contributes to scientific literature, reports, journals, manuscripts (including co-authorship as appropriate), presentations, and grant writing.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of principal investigators, assists in the designing, planning, and execution of analyses of therapeutic outcomes and adverse effects of drugs and other medical interventions, as well as simulation studies evaluating epidemiologic methods and validation studies in claims data; applying skills in biostatistics, epidemiologic methods, and health services research. Serves as an integral part of the research team, helps to analyze and interpret data findings, prepare summaries, reports and presentations based on analysis and results.
The Research Specialist will also help oversee large prospective quality improvement trials being conducted to improve long-term medication adherence and health outcomes. The Research Specialist will work with the principal investigators to review available clinical evidence. Contributes to the scientific literature through oral and poster presentations and published manuscripts. Assists with grant proposals and project management, as needed.
Specific duties include:
1. Researches, develops, designs and executes and interprets research data
2. Contributes to interpretation of research data and results
3. Contributes to scientific literature, journals, and oral presentations
4. Participate in study design and protocol development
5. Participate in Institutional Review Board (IRB) submission process for new research protocols
6. Take part in design and writing of grant proposals and grant material
7. Compose and present sections of research reports and manuscripts
8. Perform advanced data analysis, working closely with the Principal Investigator and other researchers
9. Performs other duties as assigned
• MS or equivalent degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, or related field; emphasis on methods and or pharmaco-epidemiology preferred; healthcare-related doctoral degree a plus
• Ideally 2 years of relevant experience
• Excellent knowledge of epidemiologic methods; focus on Pharmacoepidemiology desirable
• Experience in research using large claims databases
• Experience in collaborative projects with clinical medicine is preferred
• Knowledge and skills in the critical appraisal of research evidence are highly desired
• Background in pharmaceuticals is advantageous
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: The successful candidate will have very good methodologic and analytic skills in epidemiology to help implement these research projects, with knowledge of pharmacoepidemiology an added advantage. The study of large longitudinal claims data and the analysis of correlated discrete data structures requires experience and substantial skills in this research. The candidate must have the abilities to independently design and analyze complex epidemiologic claims data analyses, to perform major database manipulation and statistical analyses in SAS or other statistical package, and to draft study reports for funding agencies. Strong time management/organizational skills as well as written and verbal presentational skills are necessary. An understanding of clinical medicine is an advantage but not required. Familiarity with pharmaceuticals is desirable.
Professional Office Environment, Business Casual. Working in a close-knit, friendly and helpful & internationally known research unit of 20+ Harvard faculty and 40 support staff.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: None
HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES: Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners; follows safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.
Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship, alienage, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability. BWH does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, citizenship, alienage, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability