Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Batavia, Illinois
Fermilab is America s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory seeks highly qualified candidates for a Research Engineer position in the Target Systems Department of the Accelerator Division at the grade of Staff Engineer. The successful candidate will explore novel materials for high-power particle-beam targets, participate in experiments on materials and assemblies for high-power targetry, and perform computational simulations of radiation and material systems. The successful candidate may also have the opportunity to participate in the operations and research of Fermilab beam experiments.
* Develop novel material including fabrication, testing and analysis relevant for high-power targetry.
* Participate and contribute to radiation study and irradiation experiments of candidate materials for high power targetry.
* Perform experiments and simulations of fatigue in irradiated materials.
* Design and perform pulsed-beam experiments of candidate target materials and perform analyses of the collected data.
* Publish the results of experiments and studies in peer-reviewed journals.
* Analyze data and perform engineering calculations. Develops designs of specific parts, components or phases of a project.
* Provide technical direction to draftsmen, designers, engineering associates, technicians. Coordinates and/or supervises technicians and other engineers, as assigned. May supervise an engineering/technical team or department, as assigned.
* Researches and proposes solutions to engineering problems and provides analyses of alternatives to manager(s).
* Participates in procurement, as well as manufacture, installation, testing, and operation.
* Assists or leads in the development of cost estimates.
* Provides and implements changes in methods, design, or equipment in assigned area and contributes to the overall safety and completion of assignments
* Contributes to setting lab-wide engineering policies, safety standards or technical standards.
* May participate in technical conferences and publication.
* Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
* Abides by and is responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
We Are Looking For
* Bachelor s in an applicable Engineering discipline from an ABET accredited institution with 8+ years of engineering experience, or a Master s or PhD in an applicable Engineering discipline from an ABET accredited institution with 4+ years of engineering experience.
* Background in material science and scientific research
* Background in high power beam
* Ability to work on challenging projects that may have tight schedules
* Ability to perform analytical engineering calculations, in drawing schematics and in documentation
* Good verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to work within a team atmosphere
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
* Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Repetitive Motion, Sitting, Tight Work Schedule, Visually Demanding
* Chemical Factors: Dust, Epoxies, Solvents, Welding
* Physical Factors: Confined Space, Cryogens, Oxygen Deficiency Hazard
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Underrepresented groups/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.