Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Receiving general direction from the Practice Manager, this role will primarily focus on triaging and scheduling office visit appointments. The incumbent will also be expected to develop excellent working knowledge of all Gastrointestinal Centers and their related programs and services, including basic knowledge of the hospital at large as well as develop proficiency in accurately scheduling within Epic for designated GI specialists according to instructions from GI Managers. This position will also require courteous and professional customer service techniques when communicating with patients, physicians, and physician office staff internal and external to the organization while maintaining confidentiality and privacy consistent with HIPAA guidelines and MGH policy. with HIPAA guidelines and MGH policy.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicates (mainly on the telephone) in an efficient, pleasant, and respectful manner, even during periods of high call volume, to assist patients with scheduling or questions
- Provides support and information to providers to problem solve and manage complex administrative patient issues
- Provides patients with general insurance information as needed, and transfers patients to the MGH Patient Referral and Registration Center when appropriate
- Works on scheduling appointments and procedures utilizing various work queues.
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers of the Massachusetts General Hospital ambulatory practices, supports ongoing communication and provides service recovery when needed with patients and referring physicians
- Keeps supervisor informed of issues, especially as they relate to the interaction of the department with other areas of the hospital.
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy, which is consistent with HIPAA guidelines.
- Assists with new staff training and orientation, when applicable.
- Performs all other related tasks which would facilitate the flow of patients through the practice, or which would enhance the quality of service to patients.
- Works on special projects as directed.
REQUIRED - High School Diploma required
PREFERRED- Associate degree in Secretarial Science/Business, or a Secretarial Training Certificate Program Completion of a certified Medical Terminology course
- Medical office or health care or other relevant experience required
- Basic computer skills, including demonstrated ability to effectively use of Microsoft Excel, Word, and general data entry concepts and search functionality
- Minimum of 3 years medical office experience or equivalent in a medical or health care related setting
- Epic experience strongly preferred
- Medical Call Center experience preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong communication, interpersonal and team skills
- Ability to exercise judgment in dealing with sensitive, confidential information
- Ability to handle a high volume of calls and work in a fast-paced environment
- Requires ability to translate the request of the patient or referring office into the appropriate action appointment scheduling or cancelling, message to the provider, update insurance or demographic information using the tools and protocols available.
- Exceptional organizational skills, flexibility to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work independently or within a team environment
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively and courteously with diverse groups of patients, staff, and providers.
- Demonstrates ability to problem solve and function as a resource to other members of the team and resolve complex issues on behalf of the providers and the patients.
- Demonstrates knowledge of HIPAA Confidentiality and Privacy Policies
- Demonstrates understanding of Disaster protocols to include fire safety, and code calls, per the mandatory training, as outlined by MGH and JCAHO guidelines
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.