APAC-Kansas, Inc., Shears Construction, a part of the CRH Company, is a multi-million dollar heavy highway contractor that was established in 1874, and has multiple asphalt plants, ready mix plants, rock quarries and sand operations in Kansas. Shears is diversified with public, private and commercial work including paving, utility, dirt-grading and concrete flat work. Our valued employees produce quality work and products in a competitive market with safety first at all times. If you are seeking a rewarding career with challenging work, a variety of responsibilities, potential for advancement and looking for benefits of a large corporation with a small company feel, come join our team.
Utility Construction Lead Person Do you want to work for a company that values your skills? Do you want to work for a company that values safety above all else? Are you looking for opportunities and benefits of a large corporation with a small company feel? Then CRH is the company for you! Apply for the Utility Construction Lead Person Worker today and jump start your career with the CRH family.
Job Description Summary The selected candidate will be required to work in a team environment with other co-workers and managers.
• Assist construction / excavating, treatment plant, water, sewer, and storm drain with various duties such as; operating, shoveling, raking, wheelbarrow, pipe laying. Lead other Team Members, learning while advancing to a Supervisory position.
• Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task. • Properly follow all company policies and OSHA / MSHA regulations for safe working procedures and environment. • Report any problems to your manager.
• Perform general labor duties when necessary. • Signal operators of construction equipment to facilitate alignment and movement of materials. • Follow directions of manager as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific project or job site. • May be called upon to run small power tools such as jack hammer.
• Safely and efficiently operate heavy equipment of various sizes used in, utility construction, road site or highway construction and paving.
• Operator will be responsible for a safe work environment for themselves and co-workers. • When working with co-workers, constant eye contact will be maintained when backing, communicating using hand signals or other movements.
• Perform minor servicing and maintenance of equipment; refer major problems to the Foreman. • Perform daily pre-and-post inspections with appropriate documentation in compliance with company policies. • Dig, spread and level construction materials. • Lift, carry and hold materials, tools and supplies. • Assist in the placement, moving and dismantling of signs, barricades, cones and other traffic control devices.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Work Requirements The ideal candidate will: • Pass pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check. • Pass a pre-employment "Fit for Work" physical.
• Must be able to complete safe driver training, possess a valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Willing to travel and work away from home when required.
• Be able to provide valid documentation for the I-9 Immigration document. • Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors and the general public at all times. • Report to work at the designated start time. • Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required. This work is for a portable asphalt construction crew. • Be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary. • Be able to work overtime when required. • Be willing to work outdoors in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold. • Strictly adhere to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook. • Have the willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required. • Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and / or MSHA. • Be at least age 18 years of age due to nature of working environment.
Education/Experience • Minimum high school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred. • Previous related experience with excavation equipment preferred.
A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
Highly competitive base pay
Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
Group retirement savings program
Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America's largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you're up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
APAC-Kansas, Inc., Shears Construction is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer